Cop kills man with gun attacking his wife and kid..

not enough information

the short story lack a lot of details. Among those missing is any connection to make the LEO related to the women and child. Seems like there will have to be a better report before one can answer your question.

The only issue a private citizen would have in this situation was if the carry weapon wasn't legal and that wouldn't matter in some states.

Based on the known facts, the officer responded to an assault on his family in which a firearm was used. This is pretty much textbook self-defense.

Wouldn't have had to have been the officer's family...protecting anybody's family would have been just as righteous.

It's all based on very old law... way before we (US) was

a country.

Good Samaritan... or being a substitue. If you see a person in grave danger and that person would have the right to use deadly force then you have the same right to protect them.

I have a problem with the headline, “Cop Shoots Man For Allegedly Attacking His Family.” It almost sounds as if the cop sought this guy out and murdered him in cold blood. A better headline would be, “Cop Shoots Gunman, Saves His Family.”

The press is just never going to be comfortable with anyone legally protecting themselves or others using a gun. But, they will cry for the gunmen who attack others, and demand fair trials and leniency.

NYS = New York State?

It depends on where you live unfortunately, In some places NYC and soem counties in NYS, Washington DC, Chicago, and some other big cities you could be in serious trouble, for possessing or carrying a gun. Then your fate is in the hands of a Jury and the prosecutor.

Other places you would be given a medal.

As I read it the threat to his family was still pretty immediate as he responded to screams for help.

In TX you can use deadly force to prevent someone from committing or fleeing the scene of several crimes including aggravated robbery (pistol + mugging = agg robbery?).

There are not enough details to say for sure what happened during the confrontation but it didn't sound like he chased the BG out onto the street and shot him down.

here in NY, we gun owners have a duty to retreat if our homes were being burglarized. only when you feel your life is in danger, and only when your back is against the wall is when you're allowed to shoot 2 kill....

In TX you can use deadly force to prevent someone from committing or fleeing the scene of several crimes including aggravated robbery (pistol + mugging = agg robbery?).

Yup - I'm looking at the pdf now. Justification is in Chp 2, PC 9.03.

Shorts,

I just signed the Texas OC petition ;)

In addition, I also wanted to add that in NY while your house is being robbed and while the thug is coming to kill you in your bedroom, the police expects you to have your gun in one hand, and be on the cell phone on the other calling them before you shoot the bad guy..... how crazy is that?

To respond to the OP's question more clearly, I feel that if somebody other than a government agent (FBI, CIA, or cop) had done this, the very least they could expect is a manslaughter charge, and a murder one could possibly come out of it as well. In NYC, in the Bronx, they do a much better job of protecting criminal's rights (and using legislation to protect crooks from potential victims) than they do of protecting potential victims against criminals.

Note: On the Texas OC petition, I did not sign, as in order to have any weight in doing so, being a resident of Texas would really be helpful.

Back