Cooper's picks?

ctdonath

I'm racking my brain trying to recall what handguns Cooper specifically recommends, both in general and for petite women. Anyone recall?

Was it the Hi-Power or the CZ-75?
I honestlty thought he endorsed the CZ-75 as the best 9mm pistol. Can anybody clarify this?

Col. Cooper has stated that he likes the ergonomics of the CZ-75. His Hi Power remark was that it was an oxymoron.

I have all of his books and he does not like small calibers. He does understand the need for smaller guns.

One thing that folks continually screw up is thinking that he places a high value on caliber. The Col. places a high value on being able to use your firearm.

If you'll note, he has mentioned in print that he has carried a .38 Super on several trips in lieu of a .45.

As for specific guns for people with small hands, he has mentioned slimming down a 1911 grip.

It's not the arrow, it's the indian folks.

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Give me a break! Cooper doesn't place a high value on caliber!?

You first pointed out that he doesn't like smaller calibers. Cooper, at least in his writings, endlessly carps about the ineffectiveness of the 9mm, .380, etc. I hope by now he at least has examined the evidence with newer bullets.

I think that you can learn a lot from what Cooper says but his nickname given by Jim Cirillo, the "Pope" seems apt. He tends to believe that his pronouncements are all infallible.

Col. Jeff Cooper has been there, done that, and has the trophy mounted on his castle's wall.
Cooper's opinion has considerable merit considering his experience. His opinions are his opinions. His experience means I will listen to it a little more carefully than opinions from Green Horns.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

A little more background on the question: I'm planning to buy a handgun for m'lady, then take her to reborn Gunsite in a few months. Obviously I want her to have the best possible gun for her capabilities, and doing so includes finding Cooper's top recommendations.

The CZ75 seems to get Cooper's blessing on everything but caliber. 1911 is great - if your hands are big enough for it.

Yes, I do know that "it's not the arrow, it's the indian". A .22 plus skill will do better than a .45 without skill...but skill and a .45 is better still. I want to start her with a good tool. Gunsite or LFI or GunSmoke, here we come.

Failing a decent solution soon, she'll get a Glock 19: she likes my 17 and 26, cheaper ammo, easy to use, etc. If only the G36 would show up soon...

Connected with this is a desire to find the one most recommended gun, something that, when I'm asked "what should I get", I can safely recommend as an excellent starting point.

If your wife likes your G17 and G27, then a G19 sounds like a decent choice. However, if her hands are big enough to use a G19 without "monkey-gripping" it, her hands are probably big enough to use a 1911 with AFS Slim-Tech stocks, a flat mainspring housing, and a short trigger. She might possibly benefit from one of the lowered thumb safeties as well.

If the weight of a full-sized 1911 is distressing to her, the Colt CCO (Concealed Carry Officers...Commander slide on an alloy Officers ACP frame) would probably be a good choice for her (again, with the addition of thin stocks and short trigger)

Rosco

You know - I really hate doing this...
But I am going to tell you to look at an EAA gun.
EAA makes CZ-75 clones and you can get them in a variaty of calibers all the way up to 10mm.
This way, she can have her cake and eat it to.
Just dont show her any EAA ads... :)

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Rosco, How does one "monkey grip" a pistol? Just WTK...

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

Sorry NuclearGlock, My wife doesn't like the Glock 19. Says its too boxy, and feels "weird". There's one women for you.

"Monkey-gripping" a pistol just means that the shooter must grasp the pistol with the their grip off-center in order to reach the trigger. Rather than the pistol being centered against the web of the hand, the backstrap will be more or less over against the base of the thumb.

While decent shooting can be done with a monkey-grip, it is an obstacle to be overcome. If possible, it is better to select a pistol that fits.

Rosco

Thanks, Rosco! I've seen the monkey grip at the range. I've also seen the 1911 held with what I call the clawhammer hold, where the shooter grips the piece at the lower end of the grip to avoid hammer bite. It looks comical to see the pistol sashay back and forth during recoil.

Ask me to show you my hammer bite scars! :) LOL

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

ctdonath

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I have all of his books[/quote]

Cool. ALL of them? I've only got Gunsite Gossip, Ride/Shoot, Another Country, & The Art of the Rifle (I think thats all the ones I have). Still trying to hunt down the out of print ones.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited December 30, 1999).]

Back