Cooper Open Country

Saltydog235

Anyone have one that can give me some feedback? Looking for another .300Win Mag and it’s caught my eye. Finally located one that isn’t a lightweight proof barrel. Never owned or shot a Cooper, handled a Timberline the other week and liked what I saw though.

While I don't have any experience with the Open Country. I do own a Cooper rifle. I have the Cooper MDL 22, Montana Varminter, 26", 1/8.

I love this rifle. It's a heavy barrel varmint type rifle chambered in 6.5x284Norma.

I have owned rifles by several makers, Rem, Ruger, Weatherby, Marlin and CZ. This rifle gives me joy. It is the most accurate rifle I or any of my pals at the Rod and gun club have fired except for a dedicated target rifle.

The fit and finish of Cooper rifles is the best I have ever seen.

One other point in Coopers favor is the barrel replacement policy. If you shoot the barrel out of a Cooper rifle, they will replace the barrel for $125, plus shipping. That in my mind is an excellent feature, considering that mine is a known barrel burner.

The price seems high compared to a Savage Axis or a Ruger American. IMO it is worth every cent.
I called the boys In Stevensville, and they gave me the load seen on the test target.
Also gave me tips on Coal, bullet jump with different bullets.

I certainly enjoy mine.

I’m hoping this one will like my Sako Finnlight load. It’s a 200grn ELD-X over 73grn of RL22 and is unreal in the Sako, I mean stacking 5 shot dimes. The test load is a 168grn SMK but don’t know the load yet.

Back