coooool

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Got to shoot a garand (1942 DCM Springfield) saturday and i have to say... wow. We were engaging a target at 200 yards with iron sights and it was a lot of fun. With all that wieght it hardly kicks at all, could have shot it all day.. seriously considering a DCM rifle now.

One of these days I'm going to have more money than sense and find this stuff out before I'm broke.
wink.gif

Dr.Rob

I'm going to in to get fingerprinted myself in preparation of order a couple of M1 Garands from CMP before the price goes up $100 in June or July.

I don't mind being printed, but FBI has had my prints since 1982 and I've bought a couple of Garands from CMP before. Why can't they just give me an ID # and take my money? Ohh...the bureaucracy.

M1 Granad....a rifle's rifle if you ask me. I've got the paperwork for the CMP (odcmp.com) right here on my desk and can't wait to fulfill the requirements to purchase one. Everything I've read on the internet says the Civilian Marksmanship Program is the way to go. By the way, check out auctionarms.com. They have a few M1s for sale. I know, however, that there is some concern about receivers being manufactured from CAI, however. I may be mistaken, but I don't think you should consider one of these M1s.
Good hunting.
Rome

gave my father one for christmas this year, this man after being out of the army sence 1954 korea conflic, he took this weapon apart and put it back together with ease i thought, within 5 min. dad said he had to take it apart and put it back to gether blind folded in the service. now folks its be 56 years sence my father has held a M1 garand. it has brought me and my father very much closer. he's my hero and idol.

Gary, I live in NY State and I just sent a copy of my handgun license to the CMP and they waived the FBI check.

Joefo
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 4V50 Gary:
I'm going to in to get fingerprinted myself in preparation of order a couple of M1 Garands from CMP before the price goes up $100 in June or July.

I don't mind being printed, but FBI has had my prints since 1982 and I've bought a couple of Garands from CMP before. Why can't they just give me an ID # and take my money? Ohh...the bureaucracy.
[/quote]

The CMP did away with the fingerprint requirement over a year ago, when the National Instant Check System (NICS) went into effect - November of '98. First Garand I ordered (before NICS) I had to get fingerprinted and the whole nine yards - took over 9 months to get the rifle. The last one I bought took about 3 weeks, from the time my letter went into the mailbox, to the day FedEx left the little yellow sticker on my door.

Careful all, or you'll get chronic Garanditis - a disease that causes you to want more and more M1s. If anyone has any questions about the process, post them here and I'll answer them best that I can. -- Kernel

ps. Dr. Rob, One thing I wanted to add.... the CMP now also takes credit cards. So you got no excuse for not getting a Garand (or three). -- Kernel

[This message has been edited by Kernel (edited April 25, 2000).]

My M1 came today! Alright! It's a Springfield Armory, #2605XXX. Questions:

1. On the left side of the stock, alongside the magazine, is a shallow, circular impression (I think it's just in the finish) about 1" in diameter. There are 2 holes in it, about 1/8" diameter, at 2 and 8 o'clock, about 3/4" apart, all the way through. Anyone know what this is?

2. What goes in the compartment in the buttstock? I'm guessing a cleaning rod in sections. The holes are "siamese" - they merge together, without a full wall of wood between them. Is this normal?

3. I'd like to research this gun - what's the definitive reference work?

261100001.jpg

The best books I've found are Scott Duff's works available from Brownells. He's got a book on WWII Garands, Post War Garands, and on general M1 care and feeding. I've got all three and they're excellent.

The space under the trap door in the butt is indeed for storage of a cleaning kit, combo tool, oil, and grease. A number of places sell GI cleaning kits complete for around $25, the CMP did (or does) sell all this stuff on it's M1 spare parts page.

I'm guessing the marks/holes on your stock are for mounting special sights for launching grenades. I've seen these sights, in mint condition, sell on eBay in the $10 to $20 range. Though most of the M1 prices on eBay are highly inflated, it's a good place look around, just search GARAND. -- Kernel

Back