Cook county Illinois

Brutus

As of June 1st Cook county has imposed a new ammunition tax.
.01 per round of 22 rimfire.
.05 per round of everything else including shotgun.
Seems like they can pass any damn law they want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Illinois politicians at work. Get lots of tax money to squander and punish the evil gun owners.

Is also a crime to purchase ammo outside of Cook County and bring in? Sounds like a great way to assure the Black Market is alive and well:cool:.

I just Googled this and am getting articles from 8 years ago saying it was not implemented. Is this something very new? June 1st of 2016? 2017?

Sounds unenforceable unless there's a special tax stamp on each shell. Of course, I wonder if anyone will get arrested to death like in the case of New York's cigarette taxes.

I have lived in Illinois most of my 60 years, and I am not surprised by the political corruption and confusion north of Interstate 80. The rest of the state is very solidly pro 2A, with the exception of the St. Louis metro east area. I've advocated succession for years. I could then own a suppressed short barrel rifle...legally.

I have lived in Illinois most of my 60 years, and I am not surprised by the political corruption and confusion north of Interstate 80. The rest of the state is very solidly pro 2A, with the exception of the St. Louis metro east area. I've advocated succession for years. I could then own a suppressed short barrel rifle...legally.

Without trying to go into no-no territory, those two areas both have one major thing in common. High crime, high poverty, low education, yadda yadda, yadda...

I felt the same way when I lived in NY - there should be NY State and NYC/LI as two separate entities......

I have lived in Illinois most of my 60 years, and I am not surprised by the political corruption and confusion north of Interstate 80.

I live six miles north of I80, but things start seriously eroding around US30 and north. :o

The rest of the state is very solidly pro 2A, with the exception of the St. Louis metro east area. I've advocated succession for years. I could then own a suppressed short barrel rifle...legally.

Probably have permitless concealed carry too.

It's loaded ammo only, and there's already gun stores just over the county and state line. And, of course, no sales tax on internet sales. ;)

eta: I haven't bought ammo in Crook County for years. It's a 15-20 minute drive to the Cabela's in Hammons IN from where I often work in the south side of Chicago, and much lower sales tax even without the new ammo tax. And lower gas taxes, it's 50-70 cents less per gallon there. So I come out way ahead if I go on an empty gas tank, 10 bucks cheaper to fill up. They'll get nothing from me!

Last edited:
Living in Illinois can certainly suck at times.

The tax is a real shame. I drive by the Cabela's in Hoffman Estates/Cook County every day. They sometimes have good deals on ammo. No more though!

Good thing I also drive past GAT Guns in Dundee daily though. GAT is in Kane.

I also buy ammo wholesale so no Cook County tax for me as I live in Kane.

Back