Convicted Felon Owns Three Gun Companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this interesting article about the owner of Victory Arms.

Apparently the owner, Lee F. Booth, was convicted of second-degree kidnapping and sentenced to 8 years in jail in 1981, then released after serving 4 years.

Despite this, in Spring 2007, he was able to acquire Detonics (which he then used to take delivery of gun parts, liquidated all of its assets and then didn't pay employees). By Summer 2007, the previous owners of Detonics managed to regain control of their company in court.

Booth then went on to start Victory Arms, building 1911s and ARs. He apparently filed for the FFL under his own name and was denied, so he filed it again using an employee's name. Using Victory Arms, he further acquired Templar Consulting, which he ran into ground via bankruptcy just as he had several previous non-firearms businesses. In bankruptcy court, Victory took position of Templar's NFA inventory.

Apparently, Booth even managed to acquire a NC CHL despite being a felon and has pictures of himself on the company website posing with firearms.

So I am left wondering, with all of the background checks, licensing and other stuff that most of us go through, how does a convicted felon end up running a gun company, having a bunch of machinegun parts and obtaining a CHL?

I'd be under the jail.

Really curious to know if his convictions were expunged or whether he was granted a govenor's pardon/clemency. While he was convicted of a felony it is possible that his actual record was cleared. I simply don't know the law where he was convicted and whether expungement/clemency/pardon would be available.

I'm not surprised. This is a perfect example of what I regard as selective enforcement. There are so many laws on the books that it is impossible for LEOs to either know them all, or have the resources to enforce them all. The result is that a great number of laws are virtually never used as primary offenses and anyone arrested for violating them, but once they aw-thaw-rih-tays have you for something else, they open the books and start throwing every other charge they can find onto the pile just to make a better case.

What department in any state actually spends time checking to see if convicted felons own firearms companies? If he used an employee to get the FFL, how would they know? (Until a bankruptcy or something like that hits the courts and the news.)

Don't ask us, try sending an email to the BATF along with his conviction information and the photos of him with firearms.

There are some strange inconsistencies in the OP article about Booth and Detonics. It is all rather discombobulated.

First the problem of Booth owning gun companies as a felon. If the companies were corporations, then Booth could have acquired controlling interests in each without breaking the law. This would be because it was the corporations, not Booth, that owned the guns. I cannot find any laws that say felons cannot own stock in a corporation that manufactures firearms.

Also, Booth may have sued for the restoration of his rights.

Of course, NC is not one of the states that has laws for restoring the rights of felons. So getting a CCW there would not have been legal. However, whether or not Booth actually had a CCW there seems dubious. The source for the claim is from an unnamed investigator. Given the claim that the sheriff's department dropped its investigation into Booth because of embarrassment in wrongly issuing him a CCW, then it isn't likely the department would 'fess up to the problem so that the matter could be verified. In other words, the claim that Booth had a NC CCW is likely non-falsifiable.

The OP's article says that booth acquired Detonics in 2007 from George Skipper who purchased the company in 2004. The purchase in 2007 is noted here.
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...iqp-DO&sig=AHIEtbROZmRJ28figEmUWh63nSi3EXapWQ

According to Detonics' history page, http://detonics.ws/history/, 2004 saw Detonics having Jerry Ahern as its president but makes no mention in a change of ownership at that time.

The OP article says Booth got the company from Skipper in Spring of 2007 and that Skipper sued to get the company back in the summer of 2007. Strangely, Detonics own history site makes no mention of being owned by Skipper or Booth and says that in November of 2007 that ownership went to Bruce Siddle and Dr. Steve Stahle. http://detonics.ws/history/

So followng the chronology, we have Detonics supposedly changing hands three times in one year (Skipper to Booth to Skipper to Siddle and Stahle). Somehow, that just does not seem very likely.

Here is where I think the article got especially flaky.

According to an eyewitness, an IRS agent was frequently a guest of Booth’s at Victory Arms. It seems rather odd that a federal agent would frequent an establishment run by a convicted felon.

So there is another unnamed source making claims that cannot be verified and the unverified claim being used as the basis for some stretched conspiracy theory invocation. First is the claim of the friendship with the IRS agent and the statement that it was odd that a federal agent would frequent an establishment run by a felon. It really isn't all that odd given shared mutual interests. For example, in some states, felons can own bars. There isn't any reason that a federal agent could not frequent the bar of a felon. Of course, all this assumes that the IRS agent would have had any knowledge that Booth had been a felon unless the agent had decided to track down Booth's history for some reason. The IRS agent would have no reason to assume Booth was a felon given that he owned a gun company.

As federal agencies in smaller localities such as Greensboro often share office space and close relationships with other agencies, it isn’t absurd to wonder if the agent’s alleged friendship with Booth and chummy relationship with other federal agencies became a factor in the local ATF’s refusal to act.

Now the weird part. Since the supposed IRS agent frequented Victory Arms as a friend of Booth and that the agent was "chummy" with other federal agencies (given proximity of offices), then all this relatedness somehow got the BATF to not act against Booth. Just how in the world does the author think an IRS agent is going to have the pull or influence to keep BATF from doing their job?

So the basis for the relationship of the IRS agent and the BATF is close proximity of shared office space along with other federal agencies. Okay, so what shared offices would those be? The BATF in Greensboro isn't even in the same zip code as the IRS offices. The IRS offices are located at 320 Federal Place, Greensboro, 27401. The BATF offices are located at 1801 Stanley Road, Greensboro, 27407. The IRS and BATF are approximately 8 miles apart.

In other words, the conspiracy notion that the BATF did not move on Booth because of Booth's supposed relationship to an IRS agent who was chummy with other federal agencies like the BATF due to geographic proximity of shared office space is garbage.

Are we even sure that the Booth who did time for kidnapping is even the same Booth with crappy business skills? Their names may be the same, but the NC prison record does not include a picture of Booth. On doing a quick Google of my first name, middle initial, and last name, I see that "I" am a urologist, archaeologist, employment attoreny, am currently attending Ohio State, have been missing since 2006, purchased land in Missouri, and am 1 of 33 people with my name on Facebook. I dunno, but given the claim that the IRS and BATF had shared offices is obviously wrong, I have to wonder the the investigatory skills of the author of the article are such that there really has been a direct link made between Booth the felon and Booth the gun company owner.

Last edited:
Just to play devil's advocate-

in concept, it would be possible for me to own Ford, and not own an automobile or have a driver's license. I could even own Ford if I had a DUI conviction

As I think has been already said,

the law is stupid and really doesn't do anything but make 2nd class citizens our of a greater increasing number of people. .... it doesn't just have to do with gun ownership but also voting and that is the crux of the matter.... reducing the power of the people by taking away their right to vote (1st amendment) and also the 2nd....

I don't see much the BAFTE could act on, even if all the facts are as described. As already pointed out, the gun ownership via company ownership isn't illegal. The pictures are also not worth going after, it was just movie props/ in Mexico on vacation/ all photoshop. The CCW application is a state form, the local DA would need to check if he lied on it.
Unless he bought weapons personally and lied on his form there's very little that can be done until you catch him red handed with a working gun in his possession.

I personaly know 2 convicted fellons that own firearms, and buy them when they can from real working gunstores with no problems. They are able to do so legaly. They had to hire an attorney to file to restore thier 2nd ammendment rights. One it cost him around $6000. The other I believe it cost him somewhere around $8500.
Paperwork and time waiting for everything was 18 months for one, and a year for the other. One had a conviction for "forgery by passing". The other was for credit fraud. Both never served a single day in jail. They paid the fines, restitution, court cost, and probation fees. Also completed probation with no marks against them. They did have to wait 5 years past thier last day of probation to file for restoration of thier rights.
On a seperate note neither one of them are eligible for a CHL in Texas.

It seems to me that the crux of the issue is control. If you look at how the ATF has defined constructive possession in the past, it revolves around whether the felon had access to the firearm.

"Owner" of a gun company implies some level of access and control to what that company produces. Apparently the ATF thinks so as well since they denied an FFL under the name of the owner.

in concept, it would be possible for me to own Ford, and not own an automobile or have a driver's license. I could even own Ford if I had a DUI conviction

Bad analogy because drunks aren't prohibited from owning vehicles; but felons are prohibited from owning or possessing firearms. In the past the ATF has included "constructive possession" where the firearm was actually owned by someone else; but the felon had access to it.

It seems to me that DNS's explanation is more likely, that the story just did not get basic facts correct at some level.

"Owner" of a gun company implies some level of access and control to what that company produces. Apparently the ATF thinks so as well since they denied an FFL under the name of the owner.

But they did still grant the FFL to the company, which is interesting.

Obviously, if Booth is a felon, he cannot be handling any of the firearms.

I don't know much about pajamasmedia, but the unsupported suggestions of a conspiracy within the government to not act against Booth doesn't seem to be above the level of the National Enquirer.

I don't know if the picture they have in the article is actually Booth or not. pajamasmedia does specificaly state that it is him and I can't find any pictures of him on the internet for comparison. For a guy who has had his thumb in a lot of pies and whose name is all over the internet in regard to his business dealings, Booth has seemingly remained virtually invisible in regard to his likeness.

Uh, maybe I'm off base, but can't convicted felons and other restricted persons own firearms? They just can't possess or have access to them. Also, the pictures of him holding guns isn't automatically illegal as those could have been made unfireable.

Not taking sides, but just pointing out a few things for thought.

But they did still grant the FFL to the company, which is interesting.

According to the report, the FFL was resubmitted in the name of a company employee. If nothing else, I'd hate to have to be the guy who was responsible for keeping the guy who signs my paycheck from having access to firearms he technically owns. That has got to be awkward.

Actually, the report says it was done for the company, under Booth's name and then under an employee's name...meaning it was a company FFL but somebody had to sign the application for the company and when Booth did it, it didn't fly and so he had another employee sign off on it. That is my take on it, anyway.

Sources claim that in creating the company, Booth filed for a Federal Firearms License (FFL) for Victory under his own name. Denied the FFL (which, again, should have resulted in his arrest), Victory once again filed for an FFL under the name of a Victory employee, and was successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back