Converting for stripper clips

STEVE M

Can a general gunsmith convert a bolt action rifle for stripper clips? How hard of a job is this (with a milling machine?) How much should this cost? and finally; are some actions easier to do than others and if so which ones? (I'm trying to decide on an action for a custom rifle project.)

------------------
keep your options open &
never miss!

If you want to use stripper clips for a custom bolt gun, why wouldn't you choose a 98 Mauser action which already has them? And spend your money on the custom features you want instead? I am no gunsmith, but I believe putting stripper clip lugs onto a reciever that was not made with them would be quit a project for a master metal worker.

I was wondering about that myself. You could make a piece of steel fitted to the receiver with the slot for the stripper in the correct place,held in place using the existing scope mounting holes. The only drawback would be the difficulty in mounting a scope afterwards. Maybe somebody still makes a side mount that swings like a Pachmeyer. Then you could swing the scope aside to reload. Just a thought.
Better yet, get a military Mauser and look for the swinging side mount.
Paul B.

Steve, this like anything else could be done but it would be pretty expensive. I don't think anyone would quote you a flat fee. It would be hourly. George

FWIW, the M14 uses a clip guide that is not part of the receiver. Whether one of these could be fitted to another rifle, I don't know, but Gun Parts sells them for $10, and maybe CMP has them. They are designed to fit into a female dovetail set at an angle on the M14 rear receiver bridge, but maybe could be altered.

Jim

Paul B.:
To mount a scope and use the stripper clips, you might also consider a foreward mounted Scout Scope, like Jeff Cooper uses.

I thought of that myself, about 3 hours after my original post. :) Was too tired to get up and change it. :) Thank's for the reminber.
Paul B.

Jim Brockman of Brockman's Custom Guns offers this service.

I believe this modification is milled right into the reciever and wouldn't be too tough for a skilled machinist- what you would need is the pattern for the cut designed to function in your action of choice...

If I remember correctly, there used to be a Stipper clip guide made for the Winchester 70 which installed right into the scope mount holes (I think)...

Do you plan on using a Remington, Winchester, or other action?

Was thinking Whinchester, but hadn't really decided for sure. Nothing made has all the features I want (of course!), so I'm trying to see what will be the cheapest way regarding actions, barrels, stocks, and modifications.

If you are thinking of Winchester Model 70, there is no big problem!!!
The majority of Model 70's built betwen 1935 and 1947 (to #60,500) had stripper clip guides cut into the reciever. Only the big 375 H&H recievers had a slightly different configuration that apparently precluded them
Model 70's built from 1947 to 1964 (pre 64's) did not, in the majority, have this feature, but there was still enough metal in the back of the receiver for them. Winchester jut did not cut them out. You could get stripper clip lugs cut on these by special order. I assume any really good gunsmith could cut them if he wanted to do so.
I don't know anthing about 1964 thru 1992 and beyound push feed Model 70's. They do not interest me to any great degree.
I believe that post 1992 Classic (controled feed) Model 70's can have the stripper clip lugs put in as well. After examining my one sole example, it looks like there is enough room of them. To be sure, you would have to compare some of these to the old under #60,500 Model 70's to see if there are any minor design changes that would cause problems. I suspect it could be done without any great trouble.

Back