Converting a Blackhawk to cap 'n ball

Since Ruger won't, why don't we?

What would it take to convert one? I'm thinking about interchangeability whereas you remove the Blackhawk cylinder and drop in a cap 'n ball cylinder. That way it can be readily reconverted to a cartridge gun.

I can see problems with the frame mounted firing pin. Said pin has to strike the cap just right to ignite it. It has a considerably smaller surface area than a ROA hammer.

Reloading of course would be by removing the cylinder and loading it outside of the frame.

Thoughts please.

well the thing people do is load up some cartridges with black powder. thats the real easy conversion to black powder.:D

Just any cylinder will not fit. It would have to be custom made and there still would be issues.
No advantage really. Just buy a C&B that works.

It wouldn't be that hard to make a new firing pin with a larger face. And any good machine shop should be able to make a cylinder.

Providing you can present them with a properly dimensioned drawing to make the cylinder from. I know a couple of guys who could do that, but I really can't see the point for most shooters, there are still Old Armies on the used market.

No doubt someone attempting would need some major machinist skills.

The idea is indeed an interesting concept. Kind of a {reversal} from the usual conversion. i.e.> Cap & ball to a cartridge shooter. But again I know very little about revolvers & pistols.

I first thought, yeah, and I could put a steam engine in my Jeep, but why? But now I see the point.

Neat project, but unless you own a machine shop or have a tame machinist, it's gonna be costly.

While it is not cost effective. It would be a fun project and a head-turner at the range. Using something like a 500 smith would even be better. That should burn about 100gr per shot.

I can see...

... exactly why this is worth pondering.

Many use conversion cylinders in their cap & ball pistols. Why not reverse this and use C&B in a centerfire! It would take some "doing" but I'm sure it could be done.

Keep us posted on this.

All the best,

Birch

The firing pin problem could most easily be solved by designing the cylinder so it uses #209 shotshell primers instead of percussion caps.

There's some British company that converts modern DA revolvers into cap and ball revolvers using 209 primers for the British shooters who can't own cartridge revolvers. The 209 primer ignition also makes these guns suitable for smokeless powder loads.

http://westlakeengineering.com/14911.html

Back