Convertible Ruger Blackhawk Models

CZ_

Contertible Ruger Blackhawk Models

They look really handy. Can any owner of the Convertible Blackhawk models please tell me what they think and if they recommend them. I think the .357 magnum model looks very tempting. You naturally can also shoot .38 spl in them but the convertible cylinder allows 9mm! That is 3 calibers in one gun, and would make a very useful gun. I also am somewhat interested in the .45LC/.45 ACP convertible model. Please discuss what you think of them...

I have had a BlackHawk .357/9mm for about a year now and I love it ! Very cheap to shoot with 9mm ammo and comfortable to shoot with .357s. No problems at all with it.

Justgot back from the range where I was shooting .357 Magnum in my 4 5/8" .357/9 mm. Works great shooting at a 6" target at 50 yards! Most fun gun to shoot that I own. Dennis

Which one?

I know I want the longer barrel version, but I am debating on the .357 magnum vs .45 LC version. What makes me think the .357 magnum version is the better choice is you got three power levels....powerful (.357), moderate (9mm), and less powerful (.38 spl). The .45 LC version and .45 ACP are so close in power, that it makes less sense to get it. Also, 9mm ammo is so easy to find, and its cheap that the .357 magnum version would make a great survival gun (3 kinds of ammo in one gun). What do you guys think?

I think any are a great idea. I am really interested in the 38/357/9x19mm version. I have heard of some Vaqueros being made as convertibles, but they do not show up on Ruger's website.

The day I turned 21(20 years ago) the first thing I did was go to the gun store and buy a Ruger Convertible Blackhawk in .357 Magnum with the spare cylinder in 9mm. They were discontinued for several years and were brought back.

Mine wasn't that great really. Pretty inaccurate with everything I put through it. I was living in the backcountry of San Diego county at the time and one of my dobermans got ripped up by coyotes and bled all over it. Ate most of the finish off and I got rid of it. The only handgun I ever sold. Don't miss it a bit.

I think I've got the best Blackhawk convertible ever made: .38-40 with a 10mm cylinder. The .38-40 is a dream to shoot - very mild recoil and I like having an "old West" round. The 10mm has much sharper recoil and pushes out a much faster round.

The downside is ammo; both rounds are very expensive if you're buying factory ammo. Hence, I reload. In fact, the .38-40 gave me a new hobby and now I reload for all my pistols (.38 special, .357 Mag, .38-40, 10mm, and 44 Mag).

This is such a great revolver that I bought another NIB model for my birthday a year ago. Now I've got two of these things....why, because I could!

Depends on the application. If you reload, I suggest the .45C/.45ACP. As to both loads being nearly the same in power, I
disagree. There's all kinds of varying power loads out there today for the two rounds.

I reload for mine, and really crank out the ACP loads, for lots of practice and fun. I hotrod loads for the .45C (300 gr. hard cast, gas check SWC Beartooth Bullets), and carry it when I'm in the mountains where there are black bears, mountain lions, etc. If you're gonna shoot SASS events, the .45 tends to knock over the steel targets better than .38/357, in my experience.

Whatever you get, the convertibles are fun. Good luck. J.B.

I had the .45 convertible BH and miss it. Sold it after I found a 625-2 in .45acp.
I have nothing but good experiences with my blackhawks but definitely think that convertibles are the way to go.
mac

I have a 4 5/8" Blackhawk 45ACP/45LC and I love it. Use the 45LC cylinder when I'm out in the woods or hunting. When I go to the range to practice with my M1911 I carry the Blackhawk along with the 45ACP cylinder. Its amazing how many people don't know that single action revolvers can shoot 45ACP - get plenty of favorable comments.

I've got 4 convertibles now- two 4 5/8" BH .357/9mms, a .45/.45 4 5/8" BH, and a 4 5/8" .45/.45 Vaquero.

I love them all, very handy, and shoot very well.

Back