Convert rimfire to centerfire?

Hutch

An acquainance is interested in a Stevens falling-block single shot, Model 44, that is currently chambered in .32 rimfire. The ammo is prohibitively expensive, and scarce. The rifle has a seperate hammer, but the firing pin is on the breech block, if I understand his description correctly. Is there anyone out there converting these to a centerfire caliber? I recall a company that was modifying the old 5mm Remington rimfire guns to a centerfire cartridge, supplying brass and dies, etc. Dunno if such work is feasible on this li'l gun. Any thoughts or ideas?

Hutch, off the top of my head I'd say it could be done. Now what it might take and cost I wouldn't know without looking it over and giving it some thought. George

Yes, it can be done. I've seen a couple that have been so altered.

One I saw had had a NEW breechblock made by a gunsmith, while another had had the breechblock altered.

Mike, if you can get the gunsmith's name and phone number that would be helpful. George, anything you come up with might be helpful. I am completely unfamiliar with this gun, and I dunno if a .32 rimfire is the same diameter as most .32 pistol ammo to allow conversion to .32Long or .32 H&R Mag or somethin'.

I have no idea whether the idea is feasible from a financial standpoint, either.

Thanks, guys.

You shouldn't have any problem with most .32 revolver cartridges, but I would avoid .32 H&R Magnum and anything very hot, as the old barrel steel will not stand up. The 5mm Remington was a more modern cartridge using jacketed bullets, and the barrel steel was pretty good.

Jim

Hutch,

Sorry, that's probably not going to be possible. I saw both guns at ranges in Pennsylvania some years ago.

For some reason the Stevens rimfire rifles were pretty popular in Pennsylvania, and a lot of people really liked them for squirrel and small game hunting.

In fact, I have a Stevens 14 1/2 Little Scout in the house that belonged to my great-uncle, who used it when he ran a trap line in the 1920s.

I shot quite a few rabbits with it before I finally retired it.

If you wanted to retain the original block the firing pin hole would have to have a bushing put in and the pin would have to be relocated. Nothing overly difficult about it, but it would definitely take some skilled machinework. Frank De Hawes talks about such work in many of his books and you could get an idea of the processes involved by ordering one of these I believ it is called Single Shot Rifles and Actions, though I don't have it here with me right now. It is entertaining reading and well worth the price, I think Brownells still sells it. Anyway, if you plan on having this work done by someone else it won't be cheap, and if the quote is, be careful.

Back