Conversion of Rifle to Shotgun

Old Bill Dibble

I am sure this has come up before but I can't fund anything on it. If I replace an AR upper with a shotgun upper and back again do I run afoul of any laws or regulations?

My Safir upper fits on a standard AR lower... 2.5" shells.

In regards to legality, must have an 18" barrel. Then be mindful of any state specific laws (active AWBs and alike).

We have no bans in Alabama, Federal Laws are all more restrictive than State Laws. I think they were graded near the bottom of the Brady Report Cards back when they did such a thing. We are just not good students down here.

:D

The Safir upper performs well? I see them discontinued at Midway and can't find any.

And there are no Federal restrictions? I can't find any of those either.

To be clear, the Safir Upper is for 410 shells, not 12 gauge, right? I'm not aware of any 12 gauge upper that would work with a standard .223 lower - this is really a question, not a statement.

Since .410 can be fired from a pistol (as opposed to 12ga), I don't really see a problem with this. Probably wouldn't be a problem with 12ga either, except I don't think it is physically possible.

Unless it has changed recently, the ATFE does not look at receivers any differently if you have a smooth-bore or rifled bore. BUT the restrictions on those are different, ie no rifled bores over .50" nor shorter than 16", and no smooth bores shorter than 18".

NEF Handi-Guns go back and forth with no issues, and I imagine the Contender could as well.

Back