Conversion Cylinders - Kirst & R&D ?

flintforever

I like to ask which of the above conversion cylinders to purchase I have a mint R.O.A. in mint condition and was thinking in trying a different set up loading cowboy 45 L.C. ammo but can I use smokeless instead of B.P.?
I also would like to ask do I need to buy any other items (Base Pin) if I go with the conversion cylinder so it will work in the ruger old army.
When reloading cowboy loads for the R.O.A. what FPS is let say max: FPS

Howdy

Yes, you can use Smokeless powder in a conversion cylinder.

I have a couple of the original R&D cylinders for my Remington 1858 revolvers.

IMG_0560enhanced.jpg

RemmieandCylinder.jpg

All of the conversion cylinders currently being made, Kirst, R&D, and Howell's Old West Conversions, are strong enough for 45 Colt ammo loaded with Smokeless Powder. They each state quite plainly that loads should be restricted to 'Cowboy' loads. Unfortunately there are no official SAAMI specifications for 'Cowboy' loads, but many loading manuals list recipes that fit the bill.

Can't help you with any more specific information about the Ruger Old Army, don't own one.

Here is the pamphlet that came with my R&D cylinders. You will note a maximum muzzle velocity of 750-850 fps is listed, but unfortunately that is not terribly useful information. Pressure is the most important factor in keeping a load safe for a cylinder, and simply listing velocity does not define pressure. Depending on the bullet weight, and the powder used, pressure can vary widely when only referring to velocity.

Check a loading manual for reliable information on safe 'Cowboy' loads.

Personally, I load a 250 grain bullet over a case full of FFg in my Remmies.

RDConversionCylinder02.jpg

RDConversionCylinder01.jpg

Last edited:
Back