Conventional or "Assault" Stock for My Wife

Skorzeny

My wife complains that the conventional stock on her Rem 870 is not comfortable (to thick for her hand) to hold.

I am thinking perhaps that an "assault" stock (one with both conventional stock and pistol grip) will allow her more comfort and recoil control.

What do the folks here think? I know that a lot of purists like the conventional stock, but think of it through the eyes of someone who is modest in size and strength.

Thanks.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

I'm with Erick on this. The big reasons people do poorly with shotguns are poor form and poor fit. A decent shotgun smith can set up her shotgun so it's more comfortable and possible to shoot and shoot well.

Then,she might want to try that PG full stock,also properly fitted.

Note, shortening a stock also means the balance and swing change...

Skorzeny-
I am not sure about the REM 870, but had my Winchester 1300 conventional stock shortened by (I believe to remember) 3 or 4". It made all the difference in the world re: comfort. "Thickness" of the grip, for me, was not the issue; length of the stock and weight were. I am 5'6" and thin, with short arms and small hands. FWIW,
Swissrose.

Another idea: Take her to a gun store with a large selection. Have her feel and fondle until something fits "just right" (other than length of pull).

Then, either suck it up and buy her a shotgun of her own, brand spankin' new; or go look for a good used version of that gun.

Then you can set her up in reloading so both of you can go bird hunting and "skeet'n'trap", and all that fun stuff. She can reload while you check to see if the TV works okay, or if all's well on TFL.

Ah, togetherness!

:), Art

Wilson/Scattergun Technologies sells a synthetic black replacement stock for the 870 (12 ga) made by Speedfeed that is shorter and smaller in the grip than the original wood 870 stock. It is called a "short stock" #76802. It is a tactical stock with a shorter length of pull to be used with body armor. I put one on my Vang modified 870 and it works great for my wife. I believe the price on one is $70.00. If your wife is shooting a 20 ga. 870, I have a solution for that one too.

Here is another suggestion:
How about a Sage International Collapsible Stock? It uses an M16/AR15 styled pistol grip(angled back a few degrees) and has a two position stock for when wearing heavy clothing/body armor (2/3-3/4 extended) and without heavy gear on (fully extended). It is available from Brownells, but the only thing is it would be a little over 100 dollars with shipping (like 105-107 bucks). A plus for the stock is that it has pretty thick buttpad on it. Another attribute is that the butt can rotate around and lay above the rear portion of the 870's receiver and the pistol grip assembly.

Back