Controlled feed....

45King

OK, there's a hole in my knowledge base. Please explain to me the differences in controlled feed, push feed, etc, as applied to bolt action rifles. All help is greatly appreciated.

The only dumb question is the one not asked
regards, Richard

45King. I'll try. Hopefully I won't confuse you further. Pre 64 Model 70 Winchesters, Model 98 Mausers, Springfield 1903's are all examples of controlled feed rifles. Remingtion 700's, post 64 Winchester Model 70's are with some later exceptions, push feed.
In a push feed, when you chamber a round from the magazine, the bolt pushes the round into the chamber. If you decide not to chamber the round, IE not to shoot, you must fully chamber the round in order to enable the extractor to remove the round.
In a controlled feed action, such as the Mauser 98, when you feed the round from the magazine, the extractor will engage the cartridge before actual chambering. If you have not fully chambered the round, but wish to remove it, just pull the bolt back and the round is withdrawn. Chambering is not necessary. The round is under full control of the rifles mechanism.
On many military Mausers, the round must be fed from the magazine as the extractor will not pass over the rim of the cartridge. This includes many European sporters based on the mauser. You must do this even when single loading. Because of this, I have gotten into the habit of always single loading from the magazine even on push feed models. This is not necessary with the push feed.
Remember, the original purpose for the Mauser was war, and the controlled feed kept green scared troops from double loading the rifle, and causing a jam. The commercial models are based on the basic Mauser design.
Most sporting rifles today are made as push feed, because they are cheaper to manufacture. They are more than adequate for most hunting purposes. I would want nothing less than a controlled feed action if facing potentially dangerous game though.
Some of the controlled feed rifles today include, I believe the later versions of the Ruger 77 MKII, the more expensive versions of the Winchester Model 70, and some imports based on the original Mauser 98. The Mauser models 93, 95, and 96 "Swede" are also controlled feed, although weaker actions, strengthwise.
I hope I have cleared this up, and not confused you further. If you were here with me, I could visually demonstrate the difference real fast. Maybe there is a gun shop, or local gunsmith that can demonstrate the difference for you.
Paul B.

Paul B. Excellent explanation, though you might be interested to note that all Winchester M-70's are again made with controlled feed.
My old roommate bought one on a promotion that Wal Mart was putting on last year for $400, even with Simmons 3X9 scope on top of it, in a synthetic stock. I was very surprised to see that this '06 was a controlled-feeder, and it groups, with the kinda crummy Simmons they put on it, in the 1.25 to 1.5 MOA area! Wow! That's not bad for an out-of-the-box package gun that was $425 out the door! I considered getting one myself and tinkering with loads, new scope, trigger (really quite good, though heavy), and bedding, to see if I could break 1".

But I got married, instead. :0

Long Path. Are you sure all Winchesters are now controlled feed? I just bought a Winchester Black Shadow in .300 Win. Mag. and it's a pusher. According to their web page, they still make the push feeders. At least they did the last time I looked. I found one error on it though. It sez the .300 Mag has a 24 inch barrel, and mine is 26 inches. I got it less than 6 months ago. Maybe it is just remaining stock or something. Quien sabe?
Paul B.

The way I understand it, the Mod 70 Classic has the controlled feed like the pre-64's did, but the straight Mod 70 does not. Have seen both types recently in stores. Hope this helps.

Actually, it is a Classic-- I just called him up. Recently read a review by a gun writer who said that, to be honest, of the 10 or so Pre-64 M-70's he'd owned, he had only one that would beat 1 MOA, no matter what he did to it, but that he was getting 1 MOA with the new Classic. This writer was of the opinion that the new M-70 Classic is by far the best bolt action Winchester has ever made, bar none, because the quality control is more standardized now than in the times of the Pre '64 stuff, where it was more of an art than a science.

Dunno, but I like 'em.

To convert Remington to controlled feed:

1) Unscrew barrel.
2) Throw away action.
3) Replace action with Winchester or Mauser. 4) Rethread barrel accordingly.
5) Install improved barrelled action in stock.
6) Modify stock accordingly.

:)

Hi folks,

Paul B. explained things very well, but maybe I can add a little info.

Controlled feed not only prevents double loading and jamming, it also prevents the following situation:

The shooter feeds a round into the chamber but does not fully close the bolt. He then pulls the bolt back, leaving the round in the chamber. If he pushes the bolt forward and picks up another round from the magazine, the bullet point of that round can strike the primer of the chambered round. This will be followed by some severe unpleasantness.

The push feed was not developed because it is cheaper (though it is), but because a push feed system can be immensely stronger, not requiring any cutouts in the barrel or the bolt.

Push feed designers feel that the danger from hot reloads is far greater than that from the above situation. They use push feed, but also very carefully work on the receiver side rails and magazine design to prevent that bullet nose from coming close to the primer.

That is why changing calibers in a push feed rifle should be done carefully.

Jim

P.S. I have 3 Remington 700s, so I am not too worried about using a push feed rifle.

JEK

Back