Contract Law for Gun Sellers

bclark1

Your auction ends. You email the highest bidder: "You did not meet the reserve price. However, I am willing to sell for your high bid plus shipping. Would you like to complete the transaction?" Bidder replies affirmatively. Bidder receives no response, and sees you relisted it on an auction site and sold it.

Yeah, you're not really supposed to do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offer_and_acceptance

Yeah, and it's not really worth it, which is why I let it drop. But it's just sad that another $250 is worth more to some people than their reputation. Had it been for something fancier than an EBR and some extras, court might be worth the trouble too.

what does the auction sight have to say

at a minimum you should notify the auction site. It might save some other buyer some grief. My experience is that bad seller (for what ever reason) are bad sellers and we all need to know who they are before we bid.

Yeah, the only problem is the agreement was external, done by email. I did bid via the site but it was below his reserve, so I figure GB would consider that beyond their jurisdiction so to speak. He's not terribly active either, 12 total purchases and sales since '04. It stinks but there's very little I can accomplish practically.

Back