Continuation of the 98 Mauser

Harley Nolden

Staff In Memoriam
Jim:
As I was searching for more information, peep w/cross hair, rear sight I ran across reference to the 1903 Springfield and Mauser 1936 Model.

This rifle, as is indicated, is the Mexican Mauser, mfg's from 1936-1951, by Fabrica Nacional de Armas, Mexico City, in calibre 7X57. This rifle combined an 1898 type Mauser action with bands, nose cap and cocking piece of the US M1903 Springfield rifle. It also has American style swivels on the butt and barrel band, with an open stacking swivel on the nose cap.

This rifle was later modified to use the US 30-06 cartridge.

HJN

The Mexican 1936 is a pure small ring Mauser action, with only a couple of features which, as you mention, resemble those on the Springfield 1903. The knurled piece for manual cocking is part of the Mauser cocking piece, not part of the firing pin as in the '03; the nosecap and band are similar to those of the '03, but not interchangeable. The same is true for the later 1954 model, which is the Model 1936 with a peep sight resembling that of the M1903A3, but again not interchangeable with it.

The U.S. Army always insisted that their rifles be able to be recocked in case of a misfire without opening the bolt. This is very important in case of a hangfire, and all the U.S. rifles from the trapdoor through the M14 allow recocking. Mauser's can to, but it is more difficult (use the rim of a cartridge in the little groove in the cocking piece). Apparently Mexico wanted the recock feature in a better form and used the Springfield idea if not the actual system.

Jim

Harley, just a humorous aside.

In one of the Hollywood epics about the unfortunate G.A. Custer, there is a scene in which the troopers are being reviewed by the sometime General himself. The front rank is properly armed with trapdoor carbines. But the rest of the formation has to make do with Mexican Mausers, borrowed by the producers from Golden State Arms, which had thousands of them at the time. I can't imagine how Custer could have lost with those rifles pumping 7mm steel jacket slugs at the Indians from 1500 meters.

Jim

Jim:
Hollywood and firearms. There are a lot of misuse of firearms there. Many times I have seen movies where the firearm didn't meet the timing. Good Observation. And thanks for the infor on the Mex. Mauser

Harley

Back