Contender Opens Prematurely

straightShot

I have a single shot, 10" barrel AA-II Thompson Center Contender that opens at the breech when firing factory .44 mag ammo such as UMC. With factory .44 mag loads that seem a little hotter, it happens all the time. With factory ammo that doesn't have quite as much punch, it doesn't happen. I've had the gun 15 years and have only fired a few hundred rounds through it.

I've never been hurt, and accuracy appears ok, but it seems a little odd that the gun opens up upon firing. Any thoughts as to why this might be happening?

Thanks.

------------------
NRA Life Member
Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners(MCRGO)

Straightshot, whatever TC calls their barrel catch needs to be deepened or replaced. This shouldn't be happening. Sounds like time for a visit to your local smith. If you don't have anyone near you feel free to e-mail me. George

George,

Thanks. I needed to know if it wasn't right, and I now know that it should be fixed. I'll send it to the manufacturer and let them fix it for me. I don't shoot it that often, so I won't miss it at the range.

------------------
NRA Life Member
Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners(MCRGO)

straightShot,

The older Contenders (pre easy opening modification) could be a real bear to open.

A couple of kitchen table gunsmith fixes were to shorten the bolt spring a couple of coils, and/or to file a slight bevel on the edge of the locking bolt.

T/C later came out with a free upgrade that corrected the hard opening models.

I'd make sure yours hasn't been worked over by someone who went a little too far.

Give T/C a call...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Back