Contender barrel help

shooterbob

Hey guys , I have a situation that I need some input on. I have an old frame gen 1 contender that I bought a g2 barrel for. Of course it locks up and won't open because of the split lugs. I changed out the lugs to old style and still won't open. I put the split lugs on my old barrel and it opens fine. The difference of the barrels is old is 10 in oct and the new is super 14. What could be the issue. I've thought maybe the locking ramp for the lugs needs filing, but wasn't sure. I even tried the old spring in the new barrel and still won't open.
Thanks
Stacy

Good observation !!

I've thought maybe the locking ramp for the lugs needs filing, but wasn't sure. I even tried the old spring in the new barrel and still won't open.
Yes, basically that has been my problem in the past and the fix. The Lug/lugs are not clearing the frame. Now, if by chance you have a gorilla grip, it may not be a problem but I don't. There are other ways to make this fix but this is the most common. You want to take just enough off the lug faces, not the lug taper, to clear the frame. .... ;)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Well the strange thing is the split lugs from from the g2 are now on my octagon 45 colt barrel and open easier than before. The g2 barrel has the old lug and the grip tang moves slightly when squeezed. It must be the tolerances or the weight of the barrel combined with the frame ramp. Come to think of it the old barrel was hard to open but not impossible. I'll try filing the lugs since they are cheap and easy. Thanks for the input

You don't need to remove much and it's much easier to file on the bottom side of the lugs so you don't change the tapered angle of the top side.

Back