Contender 410 barrel legal?

SameShot

I have a contender 44 mag single shot and I was thinking of getting a factory 410ga shotgun barrel for it.
Most people I've spoken to think this is legal, but a couple have stated that it might create a short barreled shotgun.
This barrel is made and sold by the factory.
Any Ideas?

PS.. I really REALLY resent all this hassle the gov has made for us people who care to obey the law.

------------------
Same Shot, Different Day

AFAIK, it's legal everywhere except California. Most sites that list the .45/410 barrel mention that it's not for CA.

I have kind of an odd Contender barrel, it has the removable choke, but the chamber won't take a 410 without a little extra smithing. At least, that's what they told me. Maybe, when I'm in Reno next month for the <blink>Western States TFL Round Up</blink>, I'll give it a try.

It is my understanding that the way around this is that the bbls. are rifled. That is why we can legally own guns such as the American Derringer Corp. .45/.410.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Right, except in California. The American Derringer Corp. .45/.410 aren't allowed here either.

I took another look at my contender barrel; it definitely wouldn't chamber any conventional .410, without reaming out a few inches of barrel.

On the other hand, CCI makes "shotshell" ammo for most popular revolver cartridges.... None of the gun restrictions make sense; they never have.

Anyway, unless you're in CA., any factory contender barrel is fine.

Now, if you start mixing the carbine stocks with the pistol barrels... well, maybe you'd better read this http://www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23316

[This message has been edited by Ewok (edited July 03, 1999).]

Contender sells a wad-shredder thingy that goes on the end of the .45 bbl when shooting .410's in it. I think it may help the patterns that will understandably be BAD out of a rifled barrel.

Smoothbore pistol = Bad Medicine to BATFman.

Longpath. I thought that shredder "thingy" was for the special shotshells for the .44 and .357 mag shotshell that T/C sold for a while.
The BATF relented, and decided the .45/410 barrel was not a sawed off shotgun and therefore legal.
T/C had special shells made up on regular .357 and .44 Mag. brass with a plastic container similar to what Speer now sells, except they were longer. As the rifling spun the container, the "thingy/choke" abruptly stopped the spin and shredded the capsule, making it work as a shotgun should. I don't know if they ever made one in .45 though.
Paul B.

I've seen the .357 Hot Shot barrels. Never seen the ammo.

BTW, WRT Contenders and Encores (AFAIK): if the firearm was first sold as a rifle, under no circumstances is it legal to convert it to a pistol. If it was originally a pistol, you may convert it to rifle, as long as you attach the barrel before attaching the stock. I'm not making this up.

Back