Constitutional Obligation

Gunfounder

Do you really understand the underlying thoughts of the Constitution's authors and subsequent legislative/judicial undermining of it. The following quote is taken from a book written by Akhil Reed Amar, "THE BILL OF RIGHTS:CREATION AND RECONSTRUCTION,: Yale University Press, 1998. $21.00 from Amazon book. No I don't have any financial interest, just a common citizen trying to better understand what I fought for and will continue to fight for.

"Whoever would be obliged to obey a constitutional law, is justified in refusing to obey an unconstitutional act of the legislature...When a question, even of this delicate nature, occurs, every one who is called to act, has a right to judge..."
James Wilson, 1791: second only to Madison in his contribution to the Constitution.

CMOS: Exactly, here is the rest of the quote.
"Though Wilson did not single out juries by name,surely they were called to act when requested..." Theophilus Parsons, Mass. State Supreme Judge further expounded by stating "The people themselves have it in their power effectually to resist usurpation, without being driven to an appeal to arms. An act of usurpation is not obligatory; it is not law; and any man may be justified in his resitance. Let him be considered as a criminal by the general government, yet only his fellow-citizens can convict him; they are his jury, and if they pronounce him innocent, not all the powerw of Congress cn hurt him; and innocent they certainly will pronounce him, if the supposed law he resisted was an oct of usurpation." THE BILL OF RIGHTS; CREATION AND RECONSTRUCTION; auth. Akhil Reed Amar 1998; Yale University press;pg. 100. Excellent reading on the Constitutional arguments.

Too bad that a huge portion of the people who serve on juries do not feel that way. They believe, because of what I believe is Big Brother brain-washing, that whatever the government says is legal, is. It does not matter to them that it goes against the whole Constitution and the Bill of Rights, Quite a few of them probally have not even read either one of those documents, and the ones who did probaly just skimmed it because it was required in high school. Those of us that beleive that it is our patriotic duty to oppose all unjust legislation are in the minority, therefore we must work even harder to get the job done.

Back