Connecticut seizes guns under new law

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimpeel

Using new law, Conn. police seize 11 guns from home

By Associated Press, 11/01/99

GREENWICH, Conn. - Police used a new gun law to raid an Old Greenwich house and seize 11 guns from a man they say may be dangerous.

But Thompson Bosee says he legally owns the weapons and does not pose a danger to himself or others.

The state law, which went into effect Oct. 1, allows police officers to obtain a warrant to search a person's home and temporarily seize weapons if the individual is proved to be an immediate danger to himself or others.

(JP. If he was such a danger, why did it take 8 years for them to get around to him?)

Bosee said most of the weapons have been in his family for generations, and he is studying to become a gunsmith.

"This new law says if you don't like guns, you can turn your neighbor in," he said. "The majority of these weapons date back to my great-grandmother."

Police seized a sub-machine gun and more than 3,000 rounds of ammunition during a search of Bosee's home Thursday night.

"I live in this house with my mother," Bosee said. "She certainly doesn't think I pose a danger to anyone."

Bosee, 45, has not been charged with any weapons-related offenses, but police are investigating whether the guns are owned legally.

Bosee said he will challenge the seizure, and any charges that might follow, on grounds that the law is unconstitutional.

Officers went to Bosee's house about 8:30 p.m. Thursday to serve him with a warrant for an 8-year-old charge of failing to appear in court on a drunken driving charge.

The four officers also had a warrant to search for the guns, police said.

Police found six handguns, two rifles, a shotgun, an assault rifle and a sub-machine gun.

Deputy Police Chief James Walters said Friday that police were "made aware" that Bosee might have a large number of weapons in his home. Walters said Bosee reportedly had been seen in his yard with a gun. Walters would not elaborate further.

Bosee, who is a member of the National Rifle Association and the American Gunsmithing Association, said the only time he may have been seen with a gun was while he was transporting a weapon to a shooting range.

He said the ammunition is solely for use at ranges or hunting.

Bosee, who has lived in Greenwich most of his life, said he was living in New York at the time the failure-to-appear charge was first filed, and questioned why police waited until now to arrest him.

"It was a way for them to search the house," he said.

Bosee was released on $500 bond Friday and was scheduled to appear in state Superior Court in Stamford on Tuesday.

This story ran on page B12 of the Boston Globe on 11/01/99.
© Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back