Congratulate me!

Melichoir

Inactive
Behold, my latest acquisition.
A Norwegian Krag-Jorgenson Rifle SN:50427 made in 1901
IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

As you can see it's been sporterized :confused: But it's got original and matching barrel and reciever. And the last person who had it didn't take care of it but I'm happy to have it. This and an M1 I'm going to order from the CMP are going to be my first two fixer uppers, there's an NRA Gunsmithing Program in susanville CA not far from where I live in NV that I'm going to start going to. The metal need reconditioning and the magazine feed doesn't stay shut, going to have to fix that. And I'm going to change the furniture ASAP since I don't like blonde wood But I prolly keep the furniture sporter since the barrel...

anyway, any congratulations, thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Fixer upper?

Are fixer upper M1s available? What grade would they be? I'm saving my $$$ for a CMP M1 plus ammo.

The CMP has very good descritpions of whats available quality wise on thier sales page: http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
And you can ask stuff on thier forums, Mr. Michaels answers questions personally too.
I'd say "fixer upper" you could just get a barrel reciever and put your own new furniture on it, depends on how much work you want to do though because sometimes the stripped hardware can be *really* rough. And since rack grade and field grade are the same price atm (5/03/09) I'd go for field grade definetly.
There are a lot of people on these forums who have done a lot more buisness with the CMP than me though so hopefully one of them looks at this post and clues you in a little better than I. I'd like to know too because I haven't ordered yet and I was going to get one Field grade and one Service grade rifle and leave the service grade alone for now.

If it ain't too personal....What did you pay? There is a somewhat rougher looking one in a Gun Shop near me and he is one of those, "Make me an offer" types. :confused:

Not too shabby Melichoir

Not bad at all.... yeah, how much? When ya gonna try 'er out? Hope you will give us a range rep? :D

When I went to the north store there was almost no difference between field and rack grade at this point. Both were pretty shabby(I still bought the best one I could find).

Behold, my latest acquisition.
A Norwegian Krag-Jorgenson Rifle
I'd love to own a 30-40 Krag myself
I may be jumping to conclusions here, but Norwegian Krag-Jorgensens were originaly chambered in 8X58Rmm, not 30-40 Krag (AKA 30 US Army). What is the chambering of your rifle? If it is 8X58Rmm, you could make ammo from 45 Basic brass (45-70 is too short) and turn the rims down to the proper diameter.

Back