Confusion on 870 external/internal ratchet mag cap

bcrash15

I have been trying to look up this information for longer than I care to admit and keep hitting walls or conflicting information so I have become thoroughly confused. Hoping some experts can set me straight without much trouble!
The situation is that I recently picked up a new barrel on clearance so I can use my 870 express as a "loaner" for friends for skeet. The gun had a mag extension on it, so I am trying to replace that with a factory style mag cap, but have run into tons of conflicting product pages and information about the right mag cap to get. I am almost certain my gun/barrel has what they call the external ratchet mag cap. However, I bought a mag cap that specifically said it fits "870 express" guns and it came with the "internal ratchet." Is my 870 express unusual to have external or was the product mislabeled? Making things worse is that the product pages often don't specially mention whether they are for internal or external mags and often missing an item picture from an angle which would allow me to see which it is. I have found some helpful product images on brownells, and if I had to do it over again would just order from there.

Yep, depends on what kind of retention system you have. It is also a bit confusing. Since it came with an extended magazine, I am assuming it has a detent in the barrel ring. That may be a false assumption. Now, depending on the age, the diameter of the detent engaging notches on the bottom of the cap can vary. The older 870 Magazine caps with the cross cut, and the 1100 caps with the straight flutes, used a smaller radius of engagement. If you put one of those on a newer model 1100/11-87 the detent will be visible at the edge of the cap and may not fully engage. If you put a newer model 1100/11-87 mag cap - the rounded checkered style, on an older gun, the engagement notches may not run in far enough to fully engage the detent. The newer mag caps for both 1100s and 870s are indistinguishable from each other. The ones they sell as "universal" fit have notches that fit either radius and internal teeth. Sounds like you bought an Express cap with internal teeth and you have a detent retention system.
Now, depending on whether the donor barrel came off a gun with a factory magazine extension, it may or may not have a detent in the barrel ring. I dare say more guns have been modified by owners, than not. The "standard" Express mag caps have teeth to engage the internal ratchet which is not used with extended magazines. Sounds like you got:
Part # F104410 870 MAGAZINE CAP 12 & 16 GA EXP $16.48 ,
and you need:
Part # F200429 870 MAGAZINE CAP 12 GA W/ DETENTS UNIVERSAL $16.48
In any event, if you stick an O ring under the mag cap it will retain the cap just fine with any style cap, and is a good cure for ratchet style systems that won't stay tight.
Good luck.

They call it, Progress ??

Well, I've been bit by this one as well when I tried to replace the standard cap with one that had a mounted sling swivel stud. I had absolutely no lock-up and had to find an alternate method. The previous replies spells out the problem very well. Have to wonder how much Remington saved on this Down-Grade. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

My personal opinion (no proof) is that the original green monster plastic internal ratcheting system was designed by some manager or stockholder's son who studied cost engineering. No other reason on earth to switch to that sorry thing.

Thanks guys! I forgot to subscribe to the thread so wasn't getting the notifications, but I think you hit the nail on the head. I believe this gun came with a factory mag extension, which makes it the exception to the "express" style mag caps. I will probably use the O-ring trick (or was even considering drilling a hole in it somewhere for lockwire style retention) temporarily until I place another order and grab the proper cap.

Back