Confused regarding S&W small frame revolvers.

That's a good observation.

AFAIK the 340 is a variation of the Centennial, and every Centennial I've ever seen or heard of is DAO.

IOW, unlike the J frame models with full hammers, and also unlike the Bodyguard series, there's no way to cock the hammer for SA fire with a Centennial.

So, I'd say the confusion really belongs to S&W. :rolleyes:

The 340 has a little bitty slider button thingy on top of the hump back....actually an extension of the internal hammer. You can pull it back with your thumb or sumpin and cock it just like a real single action. Just doesn't have the big ol hammer spur stickin up to snag on the whatevers in your pocket....or purse.

Most of the pikturs in the catalogues show it, just not noticible lessen you lookin real sharp for it.

Sam ....tween knaps.

I think everyone is confused on S&W model numbers (maybe even S&W), but the gun being described is the "Bodyguard", which was originally the Model 38 (Airweight) and 49 (Steel). There have been several variations since. It is both double and single action. The Centennial (Model x40 and x42) has a fully concealed hammer and can be fired only double action.

The Bodyguard has a partially concealed hammer and that "slider thingy" is the hammer spur, which protrudes just enough to allow the hammer to be cocked with the thumb. It is a good compromise for people who want a snag-proof revolver for concealed carry but who also want single action capability. So the Bodyguard is in fact single and double action, just like most other S&W revolvers, even though only the top of the hammer is visible.

Jim

Yes, jimmy's got it.

I own a 340 myself. It's basically a Centennial (DAO). It lacks the shrouded hammer spur of the Bodyguard (DA/SA).

Back