Confused on S&W handgun...

Carmike

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a double-action revolver, probably a Ruger or a Smith. There's one for sale near me that's labeled as a "Glenn Custom PPC Model 65-3 with a full action tune and a bomar sight rail." In the photo that accompanies this description, I think I can figure out what the sight rail is...it looks very strange sitting on top of the gun and extending from the muzzle all the way to the rear sight. Why this is a valuable add-on I don't know.

Other than that, I've got no idea what this stuff even means (other than the Model 65-3 part). I'd like to buy it, or at least make an offer, but I've tried googling it, and I can't figure it out, other than that it might've been use in a pistol competition (maybe that's what the PPC stands for?).

Any rough ideas on how this gun compares in value to a "regular" Model 65-3?

PPC stands for Police Pistol Combat, or maybe Police Pistol Competition in the present gentle age.

It is shot at ranges from 7 to 50 yards, so you need GOOD sights with easy adjustment and weight for steadiness, hence the big bulky rib.
Is it on the factory barrel or a heavy bull barrel?

Most PPC shooters fire the revolver double action and many of the "full action tunes" delete the single action notch altogether. Does it still have the hammer spur?

PPC is less popular than it used to be. It is now run by NRA who does not approve of "civilians" shooting at humanoid targets so only cops may play. It is not as exciting as the run and gun of IPSC, USPSA, or IDPA, either.

So, while Frank Glenn is a first class gunsmith and there is undoubtedly a lot of good work in that gun, it may not suit your tastes and it may not have a real high dollar value. If it has the 6" heavy barrel, it would have cost the original owner $800 on his gun. Which is a lot less than the cost of a similarly modified automatic, but the auto would sell easier.

Jim summed it up pretty nicely. PPC revolvers, when built by top gunsmiths, can be real bargains for what they are, but the catch is that they're highly purpose-built. In other words, they're built for PPC (and shooting wadcutter target loads) and not much anything else, save maybe having fun at the range with a well-built & cool (and heavy) range toy. I've got an original Bill Davis (another top PPC 'smith) model 10, and I rarely shoot it.

Carmike said:
Any rough ideas on how this gun compares in value to a "regular" Model 65-3?

Well, here's a pic of my Davis Model 10:
DavisPPCgun030.jpg

And here's a standard Model 10 I used to own:
SWM10005.jpg

The difference between that Glenn 65 and a standard 65 will be similar, except the M65 is stainless.

The S&W model 65 comes with fixed sights , the BoMar sight rail was the state of the art adjustable target sight of the day. Fully adjustable , improved front and rear, ribbed and extended sight radius.
You might want to have someone familiar with these check it out. Many were converted to only fire in double action mode , with as light a trigger pull as possible. An old trigger job, thru use might become too light and unsafe.
These were purpose built for one thing , PPC shooting and it may have a high round count .
It could be a great pistol for target shooting at the pistol range or PPC shooting , but that's probably about as versatile as this one will be.
You might be better served with a stock model 65. Have a gunsmith or friend examine it before you buy it.
You didn't explain for what use you wanted it.
I would buy it if in good shape and had both single and double action trigger function, I NRA Bullseye Target shoot and the slow fire course is shot single action.
Gary

Thanks for the info, guys. As you can probably tell, I'm pretty new to firearms in general, so maybe I should just stay away from the specialized stuff.

It does have a heavy bull barrel by the way. The guy wants $700 for it.

$700.00 is a lot of money , it may well be worth it , IF you want a special purpose-built gun. Kind of like owning a race car. My 1968 Chevelle only does one thing...goes fast in a straight line for 1/4 mile..... it's FUN ! But ,
would be totally useless to drive back and forth to work or go to the store in.
How do you plan on using it. Special purpose stuff can be a lot of fun to own, if you have a daily driver.

Gary

Thanks for the info, guys. As you can probably tell, I'm pretty new to firearms in general, so maybe I should just stay away from the specialized stuff.

That could be a very good idea. Experience comes with experience.
But BAD experience can come from ...bad... experience.

It's seldom worth saving a pittance to find you've made a mistake.

My reason for looking at this particular gun is as two-fold: 1) I just want a DA revolver and only have SA for now, and 2) my wife likes shooting, but doesn't like much recoil, so a .357/.38 seems like a nice option for us. We shot a friend's .357 Henry lever action at a get-together a while back, and since then she and I have both been keen on picking up both a lever action and a revolver.

I'd like to save a few dollars buying used, but I don't know if I trust myself not to overpay. That's why I'm looking at used ones....and why I'm asking you guys so many questions. :)

If it has a bobbed hammer and a full action tune then it may need federal primers to get it to fire. That means you need to roll your own ammo, as most competition shooters do. If you do load your own ammo and are looking for solely for a range gun that is super accurate and low recoil this could be a great option. $700 sounds quite reasonable to me given all it has and seeing that a GP100 match champion will cost you about the same with a lot fewer completion upgrades. But of course you would need to inspect it first (see the pinned post 'The Revolver Checkout' in the revolver forum here in TFL) and of course it has to meet your needs.

You can buy a brand new, in the box Ruger GP 100 for a hundred bucks or more less, and be very happy with a DA revolver not purpise built for something you will probably never do.

The PPC gun is heavy, your wife may not like it. You might be happier with a standard 65. I prefer the action of the S&W over the Ruger but an action job makes a Ruger quite nice.

Carmike said:
1) I just want a DA revolver and only have SA for now, and 2) my wife likes shooting, but doesn't like much recoil, so a .357/.38 seems like a nice option for us.

Gotta agree with pete2 - PPC guns are heavy. Yes, a relatively heavy gun does a better job of soaking up recoil, but if it's too heavy for you or your wife, it'll be hard to hold steady and not very enjoyable to shoot. A good trade-off for your needs, IMO, would be a 4" S&W 686 or Ruger GP100. Both are full-sized, good quality .38/.357 revolvers that'll be versatile, reliable, shoot well, retain their value and do a decent job of soaking up recoil. In short, both are excellent general purpose range guns.

Custom PPC revolvers, especially one built by a top 'smith, are cool, well-built, and interesting, but they wouldn't be my recommendation for my first or only DA revolver.

Would it be possible for you and the wife to take it for a test drive ?
A box of 148 grain 38 special target wadcutter and an hour at the nearest indoor range would answer the " does she/I like it" question.
If that's not possible , do a little dickering to get the price down and insist the deal must include giving you a chance to fire the gun and if it's not up to snuff , to return it for a full refund !
It will more than likely be a decent shooter , but the only way to know is to try it out.
Gary

+1

If you are new to firearms in general, and revolvers in particular, don't buy a bizarro custom pistol. Go with an old standard. If you want a reliable, tried and true S&W 38 there are plenty of old Model 10s out there.

54_zps301988d1.jpg

If you want adjustable sights, look for a K-38 or a Model 14.

K-38

k3803_zps20096e37.jpg

Model 14-3

model14-301_zps7d629ba9.jpg

I'll be shooting my Bill Davis PPC gun tomorrow. It's fantastic but too specialized for a first revolver.

If you wind up having a passion for revolvers then reconsider getting one later. For a low recoil revolver go with a .22 (S&W 617 or Ruger) assuming you can find 22 ammo. I always bring a 22 revolver to the range to warm up and tame the flinch.

You should be able to find a nice Model 14 for $700.00 or less and you'll love it. Great triggers, outstanding accuracy, and a great investment. Mine will never leave my possession.

We do own a Ruger Single-six and a Super Blackhawk in .44. We shoot them both a fair amount. I was looking for a .357/38 to fill in that gap.

With your input and discussing it with my wife, we've decided not to make an offer on the gun. Just too specialized, and since we plan to shoot it a fair amount, the weight sounds like it might get to be an issue during a long range session.

I think we're both leaning towards a Smith, just to get something besides a Ruger in the collection. We'll keep looking. :)

Back