Confused About Mosin Markings

REC510

I recently purchased a Mosin Nagant that was manufactured in 1929 in Tula. What's confusing me is that Tula seems to have changed their symbol in 1928, but my 1929 still has the original pre-1929 Tula stamp. Anyone know what's going on here?:confused: Thanks!

Mosin markings are an adventure on their own. If you look at some of the milsurp and mosin nagant websites, you'll see that there are alot of arsenal marks that are still a mystery to collectors.

As to why your Mosin has older style marks, I'll venture a guess. If its a 91/30, then it was likely never built that way. 91/30's started production in 1930. Could be you've got an older rifle, a Cossack or Dragoon, that was cut down and modernised.

As to the old-style markings on an newer rifle, it could be that your rifle was made during a period of transistion from one set of markings to another, and there was some overlap in between.

I'd recomend that you take a trip to websites like surplusrifle.com, 7.62x54.net and some of the other Mosin-Nagant collector websites. It could be that you've got a valuable rifle.

If you can, post up some pics of the rifle, and its arsenal marks. That might shed some light on the mystery.

1929 was a transition year for Tula and for the new model 91/30. It is not unusual to find 1929 dated Tula's in both styles. Most of the dragoons that you might find are Finned captured as the Soviets converted most to M91/30 standards. The reciever tang will tell you what happened. You might have a 1928 reciever with a 1929 barrel on it or vice versa.

I am not sure if its accurate, but I heard that some have Finnish markings. These are supposedly better than the Russian ones. Anyone know if this is true?

Finnish Mosins are generally more accurate than their Russian counterparts. Many have high quality barrels from makers like Sako.

Darren hit the nail on the head... or should i say the pin hit the primer 7.62x54r.net has everything that there is to know about these beautiful weapons

Back