confiscation

ribuser

Inactive
This is just hypothetical here , but if you didn't want to register your "assault weapon" and didn't want to send it out of state , could the feds track you down somehow even though you don't draw attention to yourself and no one else knows that you have the gun ? short of them accidentally stumbling across it ? thanks

------------------
Ribuser

Depends on how you obtained it.

If you bought it from a gunshop...there is paper, NICS, etc. Regardless of what "they" say, that is de facto registration...hence they know you had it on that particular date. If you bought it privately, there is no paper directly linking it to you...but there is on the past owner.

Granted, they can make it difficult for you, but private sales are still legal without "paper"...thus if they did track you down, you could say you sold it...at a gunshow, or to a friend of a friend, etc. They would have to prove that you were hiding it in order to charge you. So, at this point in time, if you indeed did sell or give it away, you have comitted no crime...thus you couldn't be prosecuted for not registering a firearm you don't have, and they can't prosecute you retroactively. Now, thats the letter of the law...what the courts do these days is a crapshoot. So, anything you do is a matter of conscience.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

DC,

Are models and serial #'s included in a NICS check? A bought a shotgun a few weeks ago and had my dealer call it in just for fun (I have a CCW but wanted to see if I still "passed." I did :)). He only had to tell the person on the phone that I was buying a "long gun," no mention of what type or make. That would just leave the yellow sheets. Seems like a lot of paperwork for state law enforcement (I believe it's still uncertain how much involvement the Feds will have as it's a state issue. Depends a lot on the next election I suppose). I know this doesn't change anything in the long run but I believe it gives ribuser some time to "sell" his rifle. I think it's gonna be a while before they come knocking on his door looking for guns. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would question the info given, I know in my state (tn) att, they not only give your name and address, and ssn, they give caliber, sn, mdl and manufactuer on all firearms they call in.........that is why most people consider it back door registration that we are paying for. I hope you are right and they dont have to their, but the way Ca. is Im surprised they dont chop off a thump and keep it on record and charge ya'll for the operation and storage.... As DC says its an individual decision how you respond to the laws in effect and the ones on the horizon.......Ive already decided and have taken steps to ensure my decision....good luck to you....fubsy.

JJR..
Like Fubs said, States are different from each other. In Calif all info is recorded. Prior to NICS and prior to a waiting period for long guns, Calif still recorded everything.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

one other thing, every firearm I have ever owned has been sold and ive the name of the deceased gun collector that I sold them to, now what he did with them I dont know. Of course back them you could sell guns to someone and didnt need any paperwork. The ones I purchased after the lot that was sold to him I have since sold as well either at a gun show or among friends prior to any laws that might be enacted---now that i think about it I believe my friends sold their guns at the gun shows too........well thats just my situation, and your situation could be different.........fubsy.

One more thing some may not realize is the fact that when a gun shop closes, or any FFL holder decides/fails to renew the license, all of the 4473 forms (yellow sheets with ALL the info on the gun and purchaser) and bound record books, MUST be surrendered to the ATF. Now that the number of FFL holders has dwindled from about a quarter million, to about 75,000 since the passage of the Brady Law, ALL the records from ALL of the former license holders is in the posession of the ATF. Now THAT'S de-facto registration!
Take Care- Dakotan

PS Fubsy! How odd....that's MY exact situation as well!

[This message has been edited by Dakotan (edited August 26, 1999).]

The government is certainly getting there with illegal registration. The only way out of registering your guns is to register yourself by getting a permit. Then all of the serial numbers etc. aren't entered into NICS
as they were never supposed to be in the first place. Now they know that you are a known gun nut who was able to breeze into the local gun store and walk out with a Browning Low Wall in 22 Hornet on an impulse and get away with it!
Your Happy Friend,
Hank

Back