Confirm Identify old Rimfire Derringer

OleMiss08

Inactive
Thanks for taking a look, I've got this old Derringer that I cannot confirm its manufacturer and was hoping some of you might have seen this around.. About half way down the barrel the engravings become legible, MFG CO PHILADELPHIA. Aside from these two pictures at the end of the barrel the inner wall is hexagonal. I've been told with some uncertainty it could be a Jacob Rubertus .22 Rimfire, as a search came up dry on most search engines I've yet to compare. Any ideas ?

gun2.jpg

gun3.jpg

Last edited:
The photos seem to match the description I have in an older copy of Flayderman's Guide for the Rupertus Double Barrel Pocket Pistol. Only about 50 of these were made, chambered for 22 Rimfire (NOT 22 LR, so please don't shoot this pistol with modern ammo, as you will damage it), 3 1/8" side by side barrels, iron frame, spur trigger, walnut grips with a square butt, and with a selectable firing-pin mounted in either the hammer or the frame. It says the original markings would have been "RUPERTUS PAT'D. PISTOL MFG. CO. PHILADELPHIA".

It matches the picture and description of the
Jacob Rupertus Double Barrel Deringer in Flayderman 8A-163.

If the barrel inscription were all legible it should read:
RUPERTUS PAT'D. PISTOL MFG. CO. PHILADELPHIA.

The bad news is that the condition is not the greatest.
At least it appears complete and functional.
Which helps the good news, because Flayderman says:
"Made c. 1870s or early 1880s. Total quantity estimated at 100."

Apparently SDC's Flayderman is a different edition than my old 6th, but whether 50 or 100 were made, that is still not many. Will that translate into a big payday? I don't know.

Back