Concealed Carry in California

rsxr22

hi,
Im going to be moving to the city of LA from OH to do my internship w/ the DEA. I currently conceal carry in my state, and i was wondering what leaps and bounds i have to go through to get my license out there for the few months i will be there. I am sure my license in OH is not recognized in CA and i was wondering if some CA residents or people that know about their laws could give me a little bit of information. I respect everyone's statements but please no hearsay, i would like information closest to fact's.
Thank you in advance

One thing's for certain, it sure ain't Ohio, and LA county is the worst. The climate is all that keeps me here....and the ocean (I'm a sailor). Welcome and Good Luck.

Mike

I think the equal protection clause in the 14th Amendment, as applied to the Second Amendment by the 9th circuit in Nordyke, will make a strong case for CCW reciprocity, at least among the many western states under the jurisdiction of the 9th circuit court.

For now you would be risking a misdemeanor charge for unlicensed concealed carry in California, unless of course you use it in a crime, then it's a felony.

1. California is "may-issue", not shall-issue. Applications require a statement for "good cause", which does not include things like "lawful self-defense" or being physically disabled. What might pass muster is if you transport large amounts of cash in the course of business or you carry valuable items around town.

2. California does not recognize permits from any other states.

3. If you will be working with the DEA, find out what level of background/security clearance they will do on you. Any kind of employment record for government L.E. service, especially a "security vetted" one is likely to help you.

For now you would be risking a misdemeanor charge for unlicensed concealed carry in California, unless of course you use it in a crime, then it's a felony.
Worse... if the gun is not registered in the CAL-DOJ database and is carried illegally, it is a prima facie felony charge.

Good to know, Bill. I used to have my old Sig 228 on my CCW in CA. I bought it there in about 1989 or so. It's been about 8 or 9 years since I lived there, would it still be in the database? What has happened in CA in the last decade makes me ill. I'm so glad there's a glimmer of hope from the 9th circuit.

Last edited:
LA sheriff is well known for his refusal to issue permits to anyone but wealthy well connected movie stars, politically powerful insiders, DAs and Judges, and on rare occasions those that transport large amounts of cash.

Back