Concealed Carry Boots

Nblaise

Inactive
I'm working on a new product based on a patent for boots with built in holsters. I have done a limited production run and I am looking for feedback from people who carry concealed firearms.
The holster is integrated into the boot during production and made to fit small automatic pistols, mostly .380s but a few 9mms work too. Right now I have leather lace up boots and leather/nylon tactical boots.
Nylon Boot.jpg

Leather Lace up.jpg

Nylon with Pistol and Knife.jpg

Me web site is www.tectusboots.com
I appreciate any feedback.

About a month ago I started thinking about how great it would be to have a boot with a built in holster to eliminate all the discomfort, and the problems of securing a holster on your leg, as I ankle carry once in a while. You stole my idea! :D
Really, I think you have great product, and a great idea.
Are you using and converting an existing boot, or will the boot itself be your own product as well the attached holster?

TimSr - I started using an ankle holster a long time ago because it was the most comfortable way for me to carry a gun and get in and out of a car and in and out of chairs. With every other holster I used no matter what I did I was always getting poked in the side or the leg. But even ankle holsters were uncomfortable because they always slid down on top of my shoe.
I looked around and couldn't find any thing I liked so I bought a leather sewing machine last year and started trying to attach the holster directly to my boot. It took a few tries to get it to work comfortably and keep it from flopping around but I finally got it to work and applied for a patent.
I used existing boots to make some proto types to send to factories. The factory is producing the boot and holster for me as one unit. My design works with style boot so the hardest thing is getting the holster sized and attached properly.

T. O'Heir

I haven't had any trouble getting to a pistol on my ankle/boot. It's not as fast of a draw as some other carry methods but I like just knowing that I have a weapon if I need it. I think that most situations where I would need to draw the weapon I will have enough time.
Right now the holster has a Velcro closure that is secure but if I run into a problem with the pistol falling out I can change the design.
The closure design that I am currently using allows for a pretty fast draw.

Nblaise, I've tried a variety of ankle holsters and have never been able to keep them from moving around. I like your solution. You will have to make them in sizes for men with a proper sized foot though. I'm thinking a 14 EEEE! Good luck with your venture.

There will always be some who are critical of anything in this format. Your response to T O'Heir was well said.

K Mac, Thank you for your support! I understand that ankle carry isn't for everyone but for people who want to, I think this is a good alternative. I will definitely have a much wider rang of sizes eventually. A 14 EEEE would be able to accommodate a way bigger caliber than .380!

I carried in my boot for several years, I found that if carried on the inside it stayed in place better and didn't hang up on my pants leg as bad. Just my opinion

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Fla_dogman, I have talked to a lot of people that carry on the inside. I think that because I ride a motorcycle a lot, the outside just seemed more accessible.

Fla_dogman, I have talked to a lot of people that carry on the inside. I think that because I ride a motorcycle a lot, the outside just seemed more accessible.
As long as the insoles are removable so I can put in my preferred insoles (I have bad knees), I can see this as an option. Especially while riding. I would like it, however, if there was a zippered option. I'm finding that I'm drawn to boys with that option more and more. :-)

beardking, My current product does not have removable insoles. Actually I'm so new to the boot business that I did not know that removable in soles were an option, or that people would want them. I will definitely look into that for my next production run.
Right now my nylon "tactical" boot does come with a zipper on the inside.

Not sure about that Velcro closure... I understand that this is a prototype, but I have to say that the whole thing looks a bit flimsy to me.

I also have some concerns about ankle carry while riding; whether the holster is on the inside or the outside of the boot, I can easily imagine a broken ankle if a person wound up under the bike. That said, I guess I'd rather have a busted ankle than, say, a broken back from SOB carry.

"Originally Posted by Fla_dogman, I carried in my boot for several years, I found that if carried on the inside it stayed in place better and didn't hang up on my pants leg as bad. Just my opinion"

I completely agree with you. It makes feel better.

Evan Thomas, I haven't had any problems with it being flimsy. That was one of my original problems, the gun would "flop" around every time I took a step. I eventually came up with a design that doesn't flop around or move at all.
I picked that Velcro closure because it allows for a faster draw than having to unsnap or un-buckle a strap. But now I’ve started experimenting with a bigger holster and I think I will have to change that closure. If I use an adjustable closure with a snap that has a quick release on it the holster can accommodate a wider range of pistols.

Evan Thomas, I haven't had any problems with it being flimsy. That was one of my original problems, the gun would "flop" around every time I took a step. I eventually came up with a design that doesn't flop around or move at all.
I picked that Velcro closure because it allows for a faster draw than having to unsnap or un-buckle a strap. But now I’ve started experimenting with a bigger holster and I think I will have to change that closure. If I use an adjustable closure with a snap that has a quick release on it the holster can accommodate a wider range of pistols.
Also, in the unfortunate event that you need to access your gun in a stealthy manner, the Velcro would probably be ungodly loud (for the situation, that is).

I've been through the patent process multiple times and see a possible problem. If you make a public disclosure, like you've done here, you may give up patent rights and have blown your chance for patent protection with your posts here. You may wish to get a patent lawyer quickly to take a look at what you've disclosed on-line, otherwise additional efforts and costs may go down the tubes.
That doesn't mean you can't make and sell the product, but that a patent may not be available, and others may copy features and otherwise-would-be claims.

TXAZ, I think patents are awarded on a "first to file" basis and I have already applied for the patent. It's in the final exam stage.

Back