Conceal carry vest

Oysterboy

Everybody tells me that wearing a vest screams "I'm carrying a gun!!" and a target for baddies.

Is it that bad? I like to wear a vest.

I do, too. IMO, it only screams "gun" to another gun person. Vests are normally used when shooting clays or competing in IDPA, so the vast majority are more likely to think we're a little weird rather than that we carry. Likewise, there's no reason to think criminals would figure it out.

Besides, I like the pockets.

Vest screams to me: "Old guy with no fashion sense who thinks he should be fishing right now".

I don't know of any concealed carrier who has ever been targeted in hopes that he had a gun to take. The number of open carry incidents I have heard of I can count on one hand.

I am an old guy with no fashion sense without question.

In my career, I have to wear short waist coats and jackets so as to not inhibit access to my tool belt. I can not stand when I raise my arms above my head which I have to do often with work, and the waist of the coat or jacket I'm wearing raises up just under my 'moobs'.
Actually I hate the binding feeling of a coat or jacket so I typically wear a vest instead, especially when I'm working. Seldom do my arms get cold for as we all know, the heat is in the tools.

My chosen carry mode is using a Kangaroo Carry holster under a button up collared shirt. The vest just insures that I'm not printing, bonus!

After doing electrical work for more than 30 years, yeah.. I'd rather be fishing!

It depends on the vest. If you insist on choosing a 5.11 "Tactical" vest, then it might convey a signal that you're carrying. I often wear a vest as a cover garment, but I'm an olde pharte and an engineer. I carry a pair of eyeglasses, assorted pens and pencils, and other "stuff." If anyone asks why I'm wearing a vest, I tell them I need the pockets.

Which happens to be true.

My assortment of vests ranges from down or fiberfill in Winter to leather "biker" style or general-purpose hiker/fisherman style in warmer weather.

Coronado Leather Company makes fine leather vests
that you can conceal a 1911 on each side. I have one
os bison hide and no one can tell it's for ccw.:D

It totally depends on the vest. There's a huge difference between a stylish vest (which is very handy for concealing a gun) and a uber-tacticool pocket-fest type vest.

Avoid the fishing vest, or something you'd see on a SWAT member. Not necessary. I typically conceal under a Carhartt vest (very normal in this region) or a down vest (stylish in most places). People never look twice.

I don't own a vest of any kind. I just don't care for them. If I wanted to wear one, I would not give a rip what anyone else thought. If one works for you, enjoy! As far as one making you a target, I doubt it. How you carry yourself is more important than what you wear in my experience.

Well, I can't speak for what others might think but anytime I see that kind of vest I stare like a Hollywood stalker as I'm trying to spot where the gun is. If I can't see it, I just assume it is well-hidden.

I agree there’s a big difference between a regular vest and a tactical vest. I’m sure there are some that try to blend the two styles, but I can’t think of them right off. In Atlanta it gets cool in the winter, but generally not really cold and vests work well. I have several that I wear one is a Carhartt, there are a couple of Barbours, and a few more assorted brands. They do provide a nice cover garment and since lots of guys around here wear them no one gives it a second look.

I will add that a few weeks back I was at the local Publix and saw this guy in a 5.11 vest, matching pants and LEO style boots. I have no idea if he was or wasn’t law enforcement, but either way on a hot August afternoon he stood out big time. I guess the bottom line is like a lot of things subtle choices make a big difference.

Old Bill Dibble 5.11 Vest says to me "Mall Ninja, packing a Kel-Tec 32 and a folding 'fighting' knife of useless design, possibly a shuriken."

Huge difference between this 5.11 vest:
80001_055_01.jpg

vs this:
58631_019_01.jpg

I have only seen the 'tac' vests in public when:

1. We went to lunch from a class
2. Some guy in Barnes and Noble

Otherwise, my vest wear outside of a match is:

1. A dressy clothes vest, not tactical
2. Fleece or insulated when it is colder (haha)
3. In TX, some kind of floppy shirt is the real world norm for concealment

Yes, wearing a tac vest is looking like a doofus as compared to a killer ninja.

Back