Conceal carry options

AL45

I am about 6 ft and weigh 165 lbs. I always tuck my shirt in at work. How and what can I successfully conceal carry? I am partial to revolvers but would not rule anything out. Is an ankle holster the only option with a tucked in shirt?

There are a lot of options with a tucked shirt. Crossbreed and most other holster makers make "tuckable" inside the waistband (IWB) holsters. Your shirt just needs to be big enough to cover the gun. There are also t-shirts with shoulder holster-like pockets, and pouches that attach around your waist with Velcro that allow you to tuck your shirt in over them.

Personally I use either a tuckable IWB holster for my .40 or a wallet holster if I'm carrying my 380.

Do you, or are you willing to, wear a white t-shirt underneath your dress shirt?

If so, you might consider what I do...

I place my gun in a leather holster, and wear it on a separate leather belt, in between my t-shirt and my dress shirt. I can slide the gun/holster around the belt, to make any adjustments needed to make it comfortable. I have also attached sections of leather on the inside of the holster and up around the grip, to make it more comfortable against my body.

Also, after putting on this interior belt/holster, I slide the buckle around so that it sits in the small of my back, instead of in the front of the belly. This prevents the bulkiness and pinching together of my regular belt with the interior belt, if I were to keep both belt buckles in front.

The weight of the gun is born by the interior belt, and does not pull down on my pants all day.

I have made myself several of these, just to have extras. But I have sized them all so they can handle my largest guns (4" stainless S&W revolvers, 1911's, Beretta 92). This larger holster will also handle my smaller guns, without needing a different holster.

Like most of us, I have a drawer full of various holster types, from years of trying to find something that really works. After experimenting with this idea, I am off the holster-buying market. This really works.

If anyone is interested in more information, send me a PM, and I'll email a picture.

Last edited:
pocket carry. I thought about a tuckable holster, but I didn't like the idea of fighting thru a tucked shirt if I needed my gun in a hurry. I'm very satisfied with my 442 in a Mika pocket holster.

The only minor drawback is it takes up a pocket that could be used for other crap I carry. I don't believe in carrying anything else in my pocket with my gun.

I'm 5'9", 190# and wear Wranglers and boots 98% of the time.
I carry a Ruger .357 LCR (with Eagle grips) or a S&W Model 36 (with Tyler T-Grip) in my blue jeans front pocket - no holster - no pocket protector - no problem.
I also occasionally augment my carry options with a Polish P64 in a Galco ankle holster (actually it was designed for a S&W J-frame, but the P64 fits oh-so-nice). That's what I carry when I go to church and wear "nice" pants.
Or, if I really am dressed lightly, I carry an NAA .22lr in my Magnum PI shorts pocket. (Just joking...I retired My Magnum PI shorts about 20 years ago...but the NAA would fit nicely!)
My 61 year old opinion? Stick with snubbies in your strong side front pocket during the summer, the sky is the limit when you wear a coat in the cooler times.

Can you post a picture? Thanks

Re: Do you, or are you willing to, wear a white t-shirt underneath your dress shirt?

If so, you might consider what I do...

I place my gun in a leather holster, and wear it on a separate leather belt, in between my t-shirt and my dress shirt. I can slide the gun/holster around the belt, to make any adjustments needed to make it comfortable. I have also attached sections of leather on the inside of the holster and up around the grip, to make it more comfortable against my body.

Also, after putting on this interior belt/holster, I slide the buckle around so that it sits in the small of my back, instead of in the front of the belly. This prevents the bulkiness and pinching together of my regular belt with the interior belt, if I were to keep both belt buckles in front.

The weight of the gun is born by the interior belt, and does not pull down on my pants all day.

I have made myself several of these, just to have extras. But I have sized them all so they can handle my largest guns (4" stainless S&W revolvers, 1911's, Beretta 92). This larger holster will also handle my smaller guns, without needing a different holster.

Like most of us, I have a drawer full of various holster types, from years of trying to find something that really works. After experimenting with this idea, I am off the holster-buying market. This really works.

If anyone is interested in more information, send me a PM, and I'll email a picture.

This looks interesting, and I think a lot of people might like to see a picture without having to send a PM. Can you post a picture? Thanks

LCP/TCP, Snubbies

I really like the Taurus TCP and Ruger LCP in pocket holsters. They pretty much disappear. I'd actually prefer a .38 snub, but I have to wear slacks for work and I feel like revolvers are too bulky and obvious. In jeans I think a little .38 in a pocket holster would be fine.

I wear wrangler jeans so maybe pocket carry would be the answer. I would like to see a picture of Joshua2415 rig. The only handguns I own are a .22 nine shot High Standard with a 5" barrel and a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt with a 4 5/8 barrel. Not exactly concealed carry guns unless your wearing a jacket. I currently reload for my .357 magnum rifle my .45 Colt and my son's .45 ACP 1911, so I would like to stay with these calibers if possible. What would be the best pocket carry gun in one of these calibers? Whatever I get, it will have a lot of rounds fired through it. I don't own safe queens or paper weights. Especially if I have to use it to save my life. Thus, durability, reliability and safety is paramount.

Pocket carry for .45acp is probably limited to the Boberg XR45-S but I have no direct experience with it. For 357, there are lots of options like LCR357 and J frames, though you might want to consider downloading to 38+P for carry (you're gonna buy factory for carry ammo, right?) and light loading your 357 brass for practice.

SlimJim9, why would I buy factory loads. I have put 1000's of reloads through our handguns with no failures. The only failures I have ever had in our rifles and shotguns have been factory ammunition. No handgun factory failures so far. Though I have only fired about 50 rounds of factory ammo through each of the .45's.

What kind of work do you do? You really have to balance comfort and conceal-ability with practicality. Ankle holsters are probably the best for concealment as long as you are wearing dark pants. While drawing might be a bit slower from the ankle (not too bad with practice), how often will draw speed be a factor? You can transition to another type of holster once you leave work. Almost any hip mounted holster will cause the gun to print against a dress shirt. Pocket carry is also a decent option if you get a thin semi-auto. Pocket carry is actually my preferred method of carry, but it doesn't work well if you like flat front pants.

I work in a Hardware and Lumber yard and am on my feet most of the day. Based on wearing jeans and somewhat tight fitting shirts, the only way I could see concealing is pocket or ankle. My state allows open carry without a permit and while it wouldn't be a big deal for most of our customers, it would be a source of too much conversation. We have several customers which open carry in our store but it probably wouldn't be a good idea for employees because of too much unwanted attention.

AL45 said:
I work in a Hardware and Lumber yard and am on my feet most of the day. Based on wearing jeans and somewhat tight fitting shirts, the only way I could see concealing is pocket or ankle. My state allows open carry without a permit and while it wouldn't be a big deal for most of our customers, it would be a source of too much conversation. We have several customers which open carry in our store but it probably wouldn't be a good idea for employees because of too much unwanted attention.

Jeans are tough when it comes to ankle holsters since most tend to fit tighter around the ankles than pants. Jeans are also flat fronted so you can't fit too much in your pockets. Is there a possibility of an external holster that looks like a phone holster or maybe even a fanny bag?

Ankle holsters work pretty well, but you do have to still watch out, especially when getting in and out of vehicles/equipment, sitting, stooping, etc. Longer, fuller cut pant legs are the better choice. Ive used one for a number of years, and with good results. You do need to pay more attention to the gun as far as dirt/dust goes, and stay on top of maintenance.

One of my favorite holsters these days, is the Smart Carry. I find its my most versatile holster, and allows carry of more realistic guns where you would normally be trying to figure out a way to carry a smaller one.

I normally wear Carhartt and Dickies "carpenter" type pants, and even with the flat, fitted fronts, the Smart Carry easily allows me to carry a Glock 26 with a 17 mag as a reload. Ive also been using a 19 in it, and with no troubles.

Its very comfortable, and of all my holsters, the cleanest holster Ive ever used. I work in a very dirty and dusty environment, and the gun and mag show very little, if any, in the way of dirt, dust, or dust bunnies. All the other methods Ive used, the guns/holsters were always filthy and required constant attention.

The biggest thing it has over the other types of holsters is, you can wear it with pretty much anything. Tucked in office/business attire is not a problem at all. You dont even need to wear a shirt or cover garment, and you can wear it in shorts or even sweatpants, as no belt is necessary.

Contrary to what it might look, getting the gun out and into action is actually pretty quick and natural, and even when sitting. The gun rides just below the belt line, and is easily accessed with one hand. It also doesnt look like youre going for a gun. More like youre tucking your shirt in. The gun sits between your shirt, and your pants, its not tucked under your shirt.

Back