Computer question: First aid programs.

Grayfox

First of all thanks to all the folks who have helped with my computer problems.
I guess this is sort of firearms related because without these infernal machines none of us would be here, right?
Once I get this thing straightened out, I'm considering putting in one of those first aid programs in an effort to stop problems before they start. So, a few questions for the computer wizards out there.
1. Do they really work?
2. Are they worth the money?
3. Which is the best one to get?

I would prefer one that takes care of itself. The less I have to mess with it the better off both me and the computer will be.
Comments will be appreciated.

Some are worth it, some aren't. I have Norton System Works, which includes Norton's Antivirus, Utilities, Uninstall, Crashguard, and Web Services. It is pretty much automatic, but my computer runs noticeably slower because of the stuff running in the background. The Crashguard has never caught any crashes, with the exception of my own simple C++ programs.

Grayfox,
This is NOT a joke.
I bought a program CALLED First Aid. It crashed my system.

Turns out it had a conflict with some other critter on my hard drive.

We're screwed, buddy. Folks like us just have to rely on the "experts". You know, the ones who designed and built the system in the first place. (long sigh...)

I am not a computer wiz, more of a back-seat driver. ;) But I second the vote for Norton. When it comes to first aid programs, Norton is the undisputed king of the hill.

Unfortunately, if Norton's program could talk, it would probably say, "I'm an utility package, not a miracle worker." I'm afraid many of our problems are beyond help right now.

[This message has been edited by SB (edited September 10, 1999).]

The only 3 programs that will work 100%:

fdisk.exe
format.com
setup.exe

Anything else, you pay your money, most time you lose.
Your best bet is to partition your hard drive into a c: and d: drive. Install your operating system and programs on the c: drive, and store your data files on the d: drive. Download any patches or updates to the d: drive as well. When your system is hosed, usually in 3 to 4 months of heavy use, format c: and reinstall everything from scratch. Another option is to use a second physical drive in the system as the d: drive. Do Not Use Compression. Do Not Use Fat32. Compression and Fat32 just make access to the system after a crash that much harder. Without exception, allof the preventative maintenence programs, Oil Change, Crash Guard, First Aid, etc..cause more problems than they cure. For those that respond that they have been using such and such with no problems, you have had no problems,,,yet,,you will. Do not use Windows NT unless you are comfortable with a very complex system, better to use Linux instead, it is easier than NT to get support for. I speak here in a professional capacity, I support NT every day in over 100 different networks. I am beginning to despise the color blue. Routine chores in NT require a great deal of effort. NT sucks, plain and simple. Yet another option is to dedicate a second PC, with multiple drives, for data storage. Many people have rotated older Pentium class machines and replaced them with newer Pentium II or Celeron, or even AMD's. The older PC's, 100 MHz and above, will support up to 4 IDE drives, but their is a catch. The drives are generally limited to a 2GB partition (Fat16), or an overall size of less than 8GB, because of the system BIOS. For under $100.00, you can buy a mini hub, 2 network cards and some patch cables to connect them. This is kind of advanced, so it is better to stay away from this track, unless again you are comfortable in doing it.

The best advice I can give, is to use a second drive for data and driver storage, keep all your original disks/CD's handy, and reinstall every few months. Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news, but I didn't write this $hit. I only support it.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http:/www.ofcc.net

Grayfox, the folks in the desktop support group here all recommend Norton. My own personal take on it is to have your computer guru friend help you with what DC said on your original thread about emails. I'll go one step further and say you need to get religion about keeping your system clean. Clear your browser cache after each use. Keep temp or tmp folders clean except for most current files. If you install programs and find out they are not what you need or whatever, Uninstall the software immediately and properly. Clean up your hard drive- you wouldn't keep old grocery lists and notes to yourself lying on the kitchen table for 2 years, why keep old files around? If you use the computer a lot, even just for the Internet, run a disk scan and a defrag every week or 2, and a virus scan even more often. Make sure you've got good power protection for the hardware. And always try to make sure you've shut the machine down properly. If there's been a power failure, when the power comes back on bring the system up and shut it down correctly. Use a similar procedure for a system crash. Folks buy a computer thinking they've got something like a TV set or telephone that either works or not and doesn't require any maintenance. It's not, it's more like a car- there is a minimum amount of work involved to keep it going. If you don't know how but have the time, learn a little about it. If you don't know how and don't have the time or desire to learn, its no big deal, just keep being friends with the folks that know. And maybe offer to barter your services priming cases or something....

Hey Hal. That's great advice. But what about just a removeable storage such as an external ZIP drive instead of either a partition or even a second physical drive? That seems like an easier solution doesn't it? I'm eyeing on an USB external ZIP. That way, any computer that goes down, we can just plug in the drive and go from there.

Again, I am all for Linux, but uh, I think even now it's still too technical for average users who just wants to get on the net, balance the budget, write a paper, and so on. I think Linux is best left to a techie friend who are already experienced with the OS. Otherwise, don't touch.. yet.

But for those who don't want to get their hands dirty with the hardware, but don't mind experimenting new software systems, I recommend BeOS. Oh sure, it isn't very well supported, but last I checked, you can get a demo disk for like $15 I think to see if it'll work for you. And the commercial version can be had for as little as $70. And the thing works like magic. And if there's anything that BeOS can't do for you right now, then you can dual boot back to Windows to pick up the tabs. Just an idea.

Of course, if someone's starting from the ground up and just wants the most basic stuff and don't want to mess with anything else, ever, than I say the iMac is the neatest thing going right now. For those who ponder the real possiblity of upgrading their systems, they would have to go with the G3.

Me personally, I gonna stick with what I've got for now. Win98 doesn't bug me as much as it may seem on the outside. But I'm definitely ready for a change.

Just read Hal's post- ditto on what he said about the second partition and a big underline on what he said about NT.

Ditto to the above...
treat it like your car
1)scan disc often
2)defrag often
3)daily clean out cache, temp files
4) I've used this nifty little utility(free) for about 6 months to keep registry clean...I do it every couple days:
"Easy Cleaner" http://www.saunalahti.fi/tonihele/
(be careful using the "duplicate files" option, as many files have the same name, not the same duty)

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

I do most of these things already. I clean out the internet cache at least every day or two. Scandisk, disk clean-up and defrag are all scheduled for once a week. I have Quarterdecks Clean sweep and use it from time to time, but frankly the instruction book is confusing and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.
I'm learning out of neccesity. Routine maintaince is something I do understand. I'll get better with time.

I appreciate the suggestions about new equiptment, but it ain't in the budget. I'm stuck with what I got and just need to make the best of it. I can probably afford a new program if it will help, but that's about it.

I'm learning alot just from this thread. Keep it coming.

Removeable storage is also an option, but since the size is limited to 100 or 200 Mb in the zip drives, that options isn't as attractive price wise as a second hard drive. Jazz drives at 1 or 2 GB are expensive for the amount of storage that they provide. BEOS is pretty sparse as far as support,and most importantly drivers. Red Hat is the best option in the non Microsoft world. There are plenty of support groups, both on and off line, for Red Hat. RH,Caldera and Free BSD seem to have the greatest support for drivers and patches. Since all are multitasking and multithread Os's. drivers are the heart of the system. Win95,a,b, and c as well as Win98, both the original and the second edition are not 100% multi task or thread. Even the highly touted Win NT is pretty much a Dos based network OS, with only command line commands functioning most of the time. Like what is being said, a clean system is the only way to go. The registry will eventually clog up to the point that it will not allow Windows to start. Registry cleaners help, but they only prolong the agony of a complete reinstall. Some of the home market PC's have realized this and taken the lead of, of all people, Packard Bell, and are packaging a recovery CD that tech support will have you run if you need to call them. Be sure to back up any data,as the recovery will destroy the contents of the drive.

LOL, the irony of this whole thread? My PC crashed on the 8th and I have been nursing it along for the last few days. I keep 2 backup systems just in case, but 1 is loaded with Novell Netware ( I need to take a test to upgrade my CNE), and the other is halfway loaded with Red Hat 5.2. I had to do an install of Windows NT Small Business Server a week ago and the client trashed my laptop, so that also has been limping. I planned on getting another hard drive last weekend, but went camping instead, so all I have is my cranky 5GB. Looks like a 98 kind of weekend for yours truly. (Please do as I say, not as I do ;) ,something about the shoemakers kids going barefoot applies here), backup systems 3 and 4 are at relatives because they wanted to see the internet :(.

My plan:

As usual, I will just buy another hard drive on sale, put it in the system and start over. The present drive will be put on a secondary controller, or placed in 1 of the backup systems just to house data. My method is somewhat extreme, but I don't put anything of value on my home system anyhow,so a total crash is just an inconvienience. Oh well my dirty secret is out about what I do for gun money I guess ;).
I usually tell people that I work as a greeter at Wal-Mart. Keeps my life simple, and Lord knows Ive been called simple a lot ;)

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http:/www.ofcc.net

No arguements from me here Hal. Just a slight wrinkle if I may. Here, my perspective is strictly on the average users who don't even want to so much as open their own CPUs and just want their computers to go.

As with most systems average users buy, their computer will come shipped with Win98 and other essential programs on CD for backup purposes. It's like that for us. So, in practice, one could probably get by with simply a ZIP drive that holds anything else we want but not found on these CDs.

Also, we have three computers in our house. Rather than, say, having 3 backup systems or methods, we would simply have one external ZIP drive with one appropriate ZIP disk that we can just walk around, plug in, and recover if one system dies.

With a hard drive, someone would have to crack open their CPU and install it, though I admit the BIOS chips today makes detection so painless it's practically a no-brainer. Backing up on your hard drive also does not guarantee protection against viruses, and can be a pain to locate with problems with either your boot sector or partitioning. But I admit, I've only experienced those kinds of problems when I tried to install Linux. :)

But that is not to say I disagree with you now. I have two physical drives on my PC, and even as we speak, I have my OS on my C: drive while my back up programs not found on my CDs are zipped up and neatly tucked away in my D: drive.

And one more thing. I found an incredible copy of Linux called Linux-Mandrake 6.0 from Macmillan Publishing. It's not Mandrake's Linux(!), but a version of Mandrake from Macmillan Publishing. What's so significant about this? It includes a special version of PartitionMagic and BootMagic. If somebody is starting out with Linux and wants to install one, I think this version is as painless as it gets. Of course, it's moot if you already have the full version of Partitionmagic. Not surprisingly, I've encountered problems but it's on the hardware end. Macmillan's Linux-Mandrake works like a charm for me. And you know what's weird about this particular version? LILO will boot my Win98 (with the curse of FAT32) on this one.

Another version I don't hear a lot about but thinks it should is DragonLinux. It is UMSDOS version that can be installed quite nicely on FAT32 partitions. It's a relatively small install of only 20mbs and obviously you'll only get to play with a shell prompt at first, but I think it's a terrific way for experienced users to learn BASH and basic administrative commands. And if it doesn't work out, just delete it like any other DOS or windows file and folder. Not intended for serious use of course, but a great way to learn without commiting yourself.

I have to go. My wife is hungry and I have to go hunt down some grub. Unga bunga. :)

I was out shopping yesterday, so I went to the electronics section and started looking at troubleshooting programs. Most were part of a utilites package which included alot of stuff I didn't need or already have. Not to mention that they cost from $50 to $100. I did find one, McAfee First Aid 2000, that was a straight fix it program. So I decided to take a chance on it and shelled out $29.95. I didn't open it right away cause my friend, the computer wizard, was coming over later and if he said it was junk, I could take it back if it was unopened. Well, when he arrived I showed it to him and he said "Let's put it in and see what happens."
It turns out that this thing is just what the doctor ordered. In a matter of minutes it found seven problems in my computer and fixed five of them with one click on the "Autofix" button. The other two problems it fixed quickly in the "manual fix" mode. The whole process was so simple that even I can use it no sweat. My computer works right again!
The Wiz hung around for a while and did some clean and tune sort of stuff that I didn't know how to. So its a good thing he was here.
But, I gotta tell ya, that program saved us both alot of time and aggravation. Best thirty bucks I ever spent.
So, for all of you "Electronicly challanged" folks like me, I can recommend McAfee First Aid 2000.
Yeah, I know, this sounds like a commercial. But, I'm really impressed with this thing. Anything that's this simple to use and works as well as it does deserves it.

And to all of you who put up with me on this and offered your advice, I say THANK YOU!

About a year ago, when I got my new computer, I also got this anti-virus program called GUARD DOG. My computer kept locking up and when I called the people who built it for me, we finally figured out that is was the GUARD DOG that was screwing everything up. I have been tempted to send it back to the manufacturer and tell him where he can place it, but my wife won't let me. She tells me to "be nice." GRRRRRRRRRRR!
Anybody else had trouble with this one????
Paul B.

I feel it necessary (finally!) to display my total ignorance for all.

fdisk, format, and setup. Fine, BUT! These silly things (I was used to a Mac) will not boot from the CD, so once I get all excited and format the drive, how do I then reload the Win98 software? It has me so scared that I ain't willing to try it for fear I'll hose the whole thing beyond my capacity to repair.

Machine is 8 mos old, has more HD than possible to use, PentiumII/400, and is slow as molasses, esp after it's been on for a while. Came with all manner of garbage on it that I don't want or use, I'd LOVE to clear it all out and start over with just the basics, but I'm (ga-BAWK) chicken.

Is there an easy way to describe how to reload Win98 after formatting?

OK. Great topic. Here are my questions. (Remember I am OLD. We were still using the Springfield Rifle when I went to school.)
What is the "Registry"? And where is it?

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Larry...
You need to get into your BIOS and enable "boot from CD".When you first boot up you see DOS....look and it will tell you to hit a particular key (can be del, or esc or whatever the BIOS maker specifies).....that stops bootup and takes you into the BIOS . There is a bunch of stuff there....look for boot up sequence.

Mine originally was A:C: CDROM....I changed it to A:CDROM:C. Select that and then choose the option to SAVE CHANGES AND EXIT. If you think you may have screwed up you can always "DO NOT SAVE CHANGES AND EXIT" and no harm is done

ED...
The Registry is where Windows leaves notes to itself....it tells itself everything and how to do it. Every operation, task, program, etc has registry entries. When you uninstall a program, lots of times the registry entries aren't deleted and so they are still in there and Windows will see them....after awhile you have zillions of entries and Windows gets confused and sluggish..
You don't want to mess around in there if you don't know what you are doing.
If you want to see it, do this:

Start button...Run...type regedit, hit ok...and it will bring up the registry....don't make any changes but you can expand the tree to see how big it is and see the kinds of stuff there.

The proggie "Easy Cleaner" will search the registry and select all entries that don't point to anything or do anything. Its safe to use

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Right on the money, DC!

As an added security, it might also be good to make yourself a Win98 rescue disk (3.5 inch floppy). It should contain all your bare essential programs and commands, as well as your drivers. It became incredibly useful for one of our computers who uses this obscure CD-ROM driver that Windows can't pick up.

I'm in a lab right now, so I don't know exactly what you have to do to make one. I'm sure DC will fill in on the details. Hehe.

DC, I want to thank you profusely for your help. The CD for Win98 now boots into the setup program, and I am carefully sneaking up behind this clunker with all guns loaded, preparing to assassinate it from hiding as soon as I'm convinced I have everything properly backed up (I say "convinced" because we all know I'll miss something critical!). I'm thanking you now because 1.)I may be cursing your name in a week and 2.)I may never get online again! But Toyota! I asked for it and I got it! Thanks again.

Back