Compression Die for .45 Colt?

DMF38

Hi everyone! I'm just starting to get into handloading blackpowder in .45 Colt cartridges, for my Ruger New Vaquero. Is it really necessary to use a compression die for that? I loaded some with 34 grains by volume of FFF and had to compress it pretty hard to seat the bullets deep enough. I just used the seating die for that. Is it likely that would be enough to deform the bullets? Thanks.

Using the seating die is not the best way to do it. I had most luck with a compression die. You can order them from Buffalo Arms at a reasonable price.

Check your die I routinely seat 40grs without overdue stress. You can also trickle the powder as you pour it in to free up some room.

I've settled for 32 grains of Swiss FFF behind the 250 grain pure lead bullet from a Lyman mold. I was getting bullet deformation with heavier charges and backed off until the flat on the bullet's nose stayed the same size after loading as before loading, although, I can't say the deformed bullets were any less accurate.

I was shooting targets tacked onto some unsplit tree trunk blocks the other day and decided to see what kind of penetration I was getting from that 32 grain load. I have no idea what penetration into wood means as related to penetration into tissue and bone, but here's a picture.

Steve

Attachments

• MVC-172F.JPG
    MVC-172F.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 40
That sounds like a good load to me, I also like shooting 30grs. If you want to have a ball try some 45 S&W's with 230's and 30grs FFF. Thats probably the greatest round ever honestly. Powerfull, efficient, accurate, controlable.

Back