complete noob rifle purchase question

andhen2003

I'm thinking of joining a gun club to shoot clays that also has some pretty awesome rifle ranges, so I'm going to pick up my first rifle. I haven't shot a rifle since shooting a 22 as a kid...a few decades ago. Forgive the total newbie questions, but you guys were great about helping me with my shotgun purchase.
At first, I just want to target practice and get skilled with a rifle. I do hope eventually to do some rifle hunting (which is not allowed in NJ).

- I'm guessing a rimfire bolt-action rifle is a good way to start? I'm not recoil sensitive, at least with shotguns, but from what I've read it's good to start with a lighter kicking rifle just to get the hang of it.
- I know 22LR ammo is cheaper, but 17HMR seems pretty reasonable to me too I like the idea that it seems to be a better flying bullet distance-wise. Do you think 17HMR makes sense, or would you recommend 22LR?
- I've seen a couple of rimfires with iron sights. Is it better to start that way and move on to a scope (which I have ZERO experience with) later? I'd rather try to learn how to use a scope properly, but given that I'm totally new, what do you think?
- Price isn't really an issue for me, but I'm not looking to break the bank on something that I'm basically using to teach myself the basics. I'm thinking a savage or CZ. Any thoughts or recommendations on brands?

Thanks all!

With the money you save shooting .22lr as opposed to the .17whatever, you could be well on your way to purchasing a centerfire rifle. The .17 would also require an oddball cleaning kit.

What would the .17 do that the .22 and a bit of brainpower could not?

As for scopes, I start my kids out with irons, and then move on to scopes.

yeah 22 LR is dirt cheap but 17HMR is still pretty reasonable for the volume I'd be shooting.

thanks. i think it would be fun to learn over iron sights before moving up to a scope as well.

I'm going to suggest something different. Before buying check the club to see what type of matches they offer. Shooting a discipline is the best way to achieve proficiency with the rifle. If anything looks interesting to you find out what guns everyone is shooting. Some clubs even offer loaner guns so people can try out the course of fire. This might save time and money getting into rifle shooting with equipment that is right for your needs.
I have lots of experience buying model# 'A' only to find out brand Y was a better choice. Buying a new gun is cool but even better if it's the one you end up wanting to use every week.

You're toying with something that can become Very Addictive!!

Annie1-1.jpg

I firmly recommend learning to shoot with iron sights then going on to use scopes. Neanderthal that I am, I have zero experience with the .17HMR, Ye Olde 22LR has worked fine for me.
Since you cannot load rimfires you will want to try several brands to see what your rifle likes. I have a Winchester that prefers Remington ammo and a Remington that prefers Winchester-go figure.
The only thing that makes a particular rifle "better" is its accuracy IMHO.
As Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate rifles are interesting." I have a 1950s H&R semiautomatic that is VERY accurate-as accurate as some of my bolt actions. But a bolt action is better for learning on. Biggest argument against getting an older rifle is that spare parts and magazine can be hard to come by.

Jump right into the scope. You'll learn the fundamentals a whole lot quicker. It'll build your confidence as well. You'll be better with the irons later on down the road because of it.

If money isn't an issue than start off with a .223.

My idea for a perfect 1st rifle (Heck, maybe the best all-around .22LR sporter, period) starts with a CZ452 Trainer in .22LR. Built on the fantastic 452 action, it's got the terrific iron sights of the CZ Lux, so it's really versatile. Accurate, too.

Sweeten the trigger with a YoDave kit, and put a good leather military sling on it. You could also replace the rear sight blade with a ghost ring to sweeten the sights a bit more. Or upgrade the irons alltogether for some smallbore-type shooting with a BRNO aperture setup (minutes to install or remove). Total cost to this point is just under $500, so it's a heck of a deal, to boot.

Once you decide to scope it, mount the scope with Leupold quick-release rings, so you can go back and forth between the scope and original irons whenever you want.

Rifle (Whittaker's): $314
YoDave kit: $18
Ghost ring: $16
Sling (Turner NM second): $41
optional BRNO aperture sights: $110
Total (before optics): $499

Back