COMPETITION SKEET GUNS?

pepemarine

HAVE ANY OF YOU SEEN ONE OF THE OLYMPIC SKEET GUNS?
WHAT BRAND?
WHAT KIND OF MODIFICATIONS?
FORCING CONES DONE?
BACKBORED TO WHAT DIMENSIONS?
PORTED?
WHAT KIND OF CHOKES?
ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME.

JOSE MARINE
KEEP BLASTING!

Skeeters tend to use as wide a variety of tools as trapshooters or even those evil Sporting Clay Yuppies do.

Local legends here use lots of Berreta and Browning O/Us, with tubes and custom bbl and stock work, or Berreta and Remington autoloaders. A few Perazzis, Ljutics and Kolars show up also.One sees few Rugers,Weatherby, or Remington O/Us.

Lots of the above sport ports, though why someone needs recoil relief shooting 1 oz loads from an 8 lb shotgun with excellent fit and a good pad surpasseth my ken. I do know these add lots of blast and noise on the line.

Re backboring, quite a few of these have it, tho sometimes it seems like a case of "Mine is bigger than yours" rather than a quest for better patterns and kick relief.Most have long forcing cones.

Chokes run very open, from negative -.005 to maybe IC. Custom chokes, also oft ported, are common. Shots in Skeet are close.Most skeet guns run a little lighter than trap guns, shoot flat rather than high, balance more between the hands, and work better for Sporting Clays than trap guns will.

Olympic Guns

Olympic Shooters tend to gavitate to high end guns that can take a lot of abuse (EG 1000's of shells a week in practice). You will find Beretta, Browning, Perazzi and Krieghoff well represented.

Chokes tend to be Skeet, Cylinder or the Russian "Tula" . Forcing Cones and Backboring are a commpn feature on competition guns, Krieghoff does both as a standard feature in their guns. Porting is common in Skeet, less so in Trap. Trapshooters are not usually too happy with ported guns and some organizations ban them due to noise.

In american Skeet the K80 dominates among the top shooters. International Skeet has more variety, the Gold Medalist at Atlanta used a Beretta ASE which is a handmade boxlock gun. The top American shooter used a Browning (a 425 if I remember correctly)

Geoff Ross

Back