Competition Rifle in 260 win

big26john

Does anyone know of a good competition rifle in a 260 win for under 1000? I like the Savage FP 308 but am also considering the 260 win and would like to have something to compare it to as I don't think I can get the savage in that caliber...

I don't think there is a .260 Win, I would think you mean a .260 Rem. Many are used in competition, myself included.

Its easy to build up you own.. pick up an old Savage 10/110 in .308/30'06 (SA/LA), all you want is the action. Then order a pre-fitted barrel chambered in .260 Rem from PacNor or anyone that that makes a drop in for Savage. Get the headspace gauges and twist it on. Pick up a stock with a competition handrail for it, and you are ready to go.

Savage is about the only one that you don't have to have a gunsmith put a barrel on (yeah, you can do an AR15 also).

Savage makes a real fine Palma and F/Class rifle ready to go for a real low price. You might call them and see if they will chamber one in .260 Rem, everything else is the same as a .308.

I think you will enjoy the 260 rem. I agree with Ken, all you need is the action. A friend of mine recently talked a pawn shop out of a Remington 700 for $150 plus tax. It is really simple to blue print and there are a thousand "smiths" out there that can chamber whatever barrel you decide to get.

I recently got a good deal on a Hart factory Rem contour. I would go with a 1:8 or 1:8.5" twist in the 6.5 so you can get the most out of the 140's and 142's if you are plannig on shooting out to 1K.

Here is a link for a great deal on a Bell & Carlson A5 stock that is completely adjustable with an aluminum Anchutz style (female) rail and its on sale for a mere $385.
http://et.ratepoint.com/629022da1021bfc905779d4f2cfeef44/e5ef34a7451909b63de4c765341ca6ff

Also, keep in mind what type of shooting you want to do before piecing it together.

Back