Competition gun & scores?

mutski

I've been shooting 50-foot bullseye matches for a year with a Browning Buckmark .22 and Bushnell red dot scope, and a Taurus Tracker .357 with open sights. I'm consistently shooting 3-target aggregates of 255-265 points with the Buckmark and 210-240 with the Taurus.

I'm toying with the idea of a Les Baer .45 - maybe the Bullseye Wadcutter with a red dot, or maybe the Premier II with open sights to accomodate multiple uses. Maybe the 1.5" guarantee. If my wife doesn't shoot me for spending the $1900, think I could cross that 270-point barrier? Not sure if the accurized .45 would be the big improvement over the accuracy of the .22 or the .357.

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: I don't have any major responsibilities. AKA- wife ,kids, pets,etc. So I wouldn't fear getting stabbed in the night for blowing the rent money on a gun.
I say buy what you want. The Les Baer WC gun is good choice.
There are few things more discouraging than making an X-ring call with a gun that can only hold the 8-ring.
A high quality target gun is expensive. But knowing that it is capable of shooting little groups may cause you to really want to learn to shoot it to it's potential. That means more practice, more shooting ,more enjoyment of your investment. I think that makes it a good value. My $.02

maybe the Premier II with open sights to accomodate multiple uses

The Premier II is not legal for EIC Leg matches, if that's what you meant by multiple uses. A good choice would be his Hardball gun. You could use it for regular 2700s by switching out the recoil spring for softball loads and then put the heavier spring back in for Leg matches.

The majority of people alway score higher with a good 22 target pistol than they will with their centre fire handgun. The Browning Buckmark is generally a descent shooter, so it is unlikely that you will outshoot the Buckmark with your centre fire handgun. Having a red dot on the 22 will make it even harder to better the rimfire score with a centre fire.

An accurized .45 is only part of the equation; the rest of it is accurized ammunition tailored to YOUR gun.

ALL of the successful BE shooters I know ( and almost all of the not-so-successful ones) reload.

You're just beating yourself (and your expensive wadcutter gun) to a pulp shooting factory loaded ammo in a BE gun.

BTW, if you do a trigger job and a few other mods (see the Browning section over on rimfire central) you can wring a few more points out of your Buck Mark; I'm regularly shooting in the high 270's with my Hunter and UltraDot - and I've only been shooting BE since last February.

All the best,
Rob

Mutski said:
I've been shooting 50-foot bullseye matches for a year with a Browning Buckmark .22 and Bushnell red dot scope, and a Taurus Tracker .357 with open sights. I'm consistently shooting 3-target aggregates of 255-265 points with the Buckmark and 210-240 with the Taurus.

I'm toying with the idea of a Les Baer .45 - maybe the Bullseye Wadcutter with a red dot, or maybe the Premier II with open sights to accomodate multiple uses. Maybe the 1.5" guarantee. If my wife doesn't shoot me for spending the $1900, think I could cross that 270-point barrier? Not sure if the accurized .45 would be the big improvement over the accuracy of the .22 or the .357.

Thoughts?

Mutski,

I'm shooting outdoor BE (25 and 50 yards) with a Buck Mark Hunter w/ Ultra Dot. I have done a trigger job on it, and the "Heggis" sear spring inversion (check out rimfirecentral.com Browning threads for details). I bought it and started shooting pistol (jumping right into BE) last March.

I'm routinely shooting in the mid-270's with a personal best 279 (at least I think that's my best - I'm sure I'd remember a 280 :) )

I'd been SERIOUSLY looking for a .45 until last Wednesday when I lucked into some some one-on-one coaching by a retired AF Colonel - who just happened to have been the AF pistol team coach!

He advised me to hold off on the .45 until I was regularly shooting in the 260's with my .22, and to take the .45 money and upgrade my .22 to a High Standard (thank goodness he didn't say Hammerli :eek:). A Hi-Master at work suggested I also look into the S&W 41 as another "reasonably" priced gun that can shoot competitively.

So now instead of looking at $1500+/- for a wad gun (plus $125 for a red dot + another $600-1000 for reloading equipment), I'm looking around $600-750 for a used .22 that will carry me as far as I'm capable of going.

Oh yeah, my coach said I'm capable of shooting 870 NOW :D

All I have to do is start believing him - and that may take a while to sink in :cool:

All the best,
Rob

Back