Compensators and pistol wear

Status
Not open for further replies.

david_m_curry

If one is shooting a hot cartridge, like .40 Super in a Glock 21, would a compensator reduce pistol wear significantly or would it merely reduce muzzle-flip? If a compensator is a good thing as far as improving a pistol's service life, can one be installed on an after-market barrel that is 0.9" longer than the stock barrel (5.5" Jarvis barrel on Glock 21} without leaving a gap between it and the slide?

david: To my knowledge, all a compensator will do for you is reduce muzzle climb and felt recoil. I've never heard or read any claims that they will reduce wear on a handgun. In the case of a semi-auto, shokbuffs or recoil reducing spring units may offer stress relief for your pistols

The extra mass of the compensator would certainly help keep the action shut longer as would the gas pressure against the baffle(s). Unfortunately, there are not many ready-made compensator bodies for the Glocks. KKM, Briley, and Rescomp jump to mind, but of those which I've seen specs for, only a barrel extension of .5" is required. In order to cover your entire .9", you'll need the help of a good machinist. Perhaps George Smith of EGW ( www.egw-guns.com ) would be willing to help you out on a custom-order basis.

Can you shoot the new 45 Super in a Glock 21? I don't know much about the .45 Super, but I would think that it would be the other way around... ie, shooting a .45 ACP in a .45 Super barrel. Like shooting a .38 Special in a .357 Mag, not vice-versa though.

Did I word all that correctly? I would have to guess that a barrel change would be in order. The Glock 21-C has a built in compensator.

------------------
Ben

"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back