Compensating for uphill/downhill long shots..

Anthony Terry

I've always been kinda puzzled by this. I know that if a target is 400 yds, thats one thing. But 400 yds up or downhill is another. I know the bullet takes a different path, so to speak when shooting uphill/downhill. My questin is, how do you compensate for bullet drop for these shots. Say my 7mm drops 8in at 300yds even ground, what would it be at 300 uphill or down ya think? thanks guys.

What counts is the horizontal distance, not the actual straight line distance.

Draw a right triangle. Get a set of trig tables. Look up the cosine of the various angles in, say, five-degree increments. If you assume the hypotenuse is the actual distance and you multiply that by the cosine, you get the horizontal distance. That gives you an idea of the amount to hold under. And you hold under whether it's uphill or downhill.

For all practical purposes, until you get past 30 degrees and beyond 250 to 300 yards, it doesn't really matter. "Point it and pull; Hell ain't half-full."

The Sierra reloading handbook has the best appendices of any of the manuals for external ballistics. Bullet drop tables, windage, vertical angles, bullet coefficients, all that stuff. Superior!

:), Art

Art

Bushnell also utilizes the same technology of ranging up or downhill shots in thier new range finders. I'm seriously thinking about getting one of em.

Back