comp'ed carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

paltik

i would like to ask for your suggestions re:
a compensated carry....
I have a officers model colt .45 acp..
and im wondering if i would go for a hybrid barrel or a carry comp which is slightly longer...which is which..

Thanks a lot in advance!!

I would probably go for the comp. In an Officer's model, you already have a low muzzle velocity, compared to a full size handgun. I don't remember the exact numbers, but you lose a significant amount of velocity going with a short barrel. A hybrid barrel would only add to that problem. And hollowpoints depend on velocity for expansion. A comp made for carry will add a minimal amount of length to the gun. Just buy a holster made for a commander, and it should work fine. I haven't priced them, but I would believe the comp would be a good bit less expensive, as it wouldn't require milling the slide. Just my $.02, hope it helps.

Actually, the real comp would be considerably more expensive than the average price of porting done in the existing barrel and slide. Price depends totally on the comp price and labor of the smith who does it. It would work far superior to the holes milled in the existing barrel, if thats what you mean by hybrid barrel. Schueman makes a hybrid barrel with big holes in the top and the slide milled away. Its THAT what you mean by "hybrid"?

Depending on method of carry, I don't think that barrel length is an issue. It is the grip and top rear end of the slide that prints in most carry methods.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back