Comparisons

Panfisher

I just worked a two day special hunt for "physical challenged" hunters. Parks with gates to keep the public out, each hunter had a guide assigned to assist them and a dedicated Deer Recovery Team for picking up, field dressing, skinning and quartering their kills. Firearms ranged from a .223 to a .338 Win Mag (he just wanted to kill a deer with it). Results when the hunter puts a bullet through the heart/lungs the result was a dead deer, when the hunter puts a bullet in the guts, or front leg, results usually a lost deer, regardless of the caliber. The hunter I guided had a single shot .243, missed a deer at about 80 yards, hit the same deer a couple minutes later at 25 yards, bullet through muscle only, but a quick cut with my old Case Trapper pocket knife sealed the deal. Some hunters shot at deer and missed. Rifles ranged from the aforementioned single shot to some very nice rifles, oddly enough it still came down to the shooter, same guys each year tend to tag out, nothing fancy they are just able to put the bullets where they should be, makes for easy trailing! For deer always say the same thing, put a decent bullet in the right spot, keep your knife sharp and your camera charged up. If you ever get the opportunity to help with a hunt like that take it, it is unbelieveable the "heartsick" feeling when "your" hunter misses, and the elation you feel when the same hunter connects, seeing their mile wide grin and holding on to a deer for the photo like it was a new world record. Almost as good as my wife and son's first deer.

If you ever get the opportunity to help with a hunt like that take it, it is unbelieveable the "heartsick" feeling when "your" hunter misses, and the elation you feel when the same hunter connects, seeing their mile wide grin and holding on to a deer for the photo like it was a new world record. Almost as good as my wife and son's first deer

Panfisher,

You are so correct. Have helped with very similar hunts every year for the last 5-6 yrs. at a sportsman club. Not only very rewarding in so many ways for the hunters but sends the helpers home with that warm fuzzy feeling that you were part of and helped out in putting a smile on some ones face that maybe they would not have had otherwise.

Thanks for the post.

Back