Comparisons of 1911 andCZ

L. Boscoe

I have Les Baer 1911 and CZ 97 and Tanfoglio 45's. I don't find
any difference in the accuracy of these 3, although I have not
had them tested on a ransom rest-I have a ransom bench rest,
which is pretty good, but nowhere near the one where the "one inch groups" are tested.
Does there exist such test? The Tan has a bull barrel, the others
a bushing. The CZ has had the Cajun Gun Works special accuracy
package ($650!) on it. The Les Baer came with a target showing
1.5" group at 50 yds.
My tests are at 20 yds, the most my indoor range has.

Asking if a mechanical accurcy test exists at 50 yards.

Not that i know of.

Might search out a 1911 vs any petter lock up gun. At some point the human factor should win. Ie an x5 master shop vs a run of the mill p210 vs a shadow or Stock 3 vs a 1911? Probably doesnt matter bc no human is going be able to know in hand.

Plus, hand fitting is when parts are over sized to be then corrected. No human can keep a zero between individual gun variation.

wild cat mccane said:
Asking if a mechanical accurcy test exists at 50 yards.
The device that does that is the Ransom rest. But a Ransom rest is only as precise as its mounting will allow it to be. I have one, but the shooting stalls at the indoor range where I shoot have counters that are 1/2-inch plywood on 2x4s. I have the rest solidly mounted to a square of 3/4-inch plywood, which I can clamp to the bench with C-clamps.

Shooting a 1911 with .45 ACP ammo, each shot moves the entire bench surface. (They aren't nailed or bolted down, the bench in each stall can be lifted up and removed.) I've tried adding weights on each side of the rest and that helps, but there's still movement.

Mostly I was curious about the "quest for a one inch group".....

I inherited my father's Colt Govt model. It was set up for target work back in the late 60s. In MY hands, rested from a bench, shooting 200 gr swc loads, it puts 5 shots in one ragged hole at 25 yards.

However, that one hole is a bit over 2 inches across...:D

Overlapping bullet holes of a about a half inch each do that....;)

I was hoping somebody that does testing for a living had done it. And that there was a published report.
My gunsmith makes custom 1911's and has a ransom rest which he anchors to
a concrete abutment which is deep in the ground. I expect he might test my
pistols for $$, just hoping to avoid the $$. His 1911's print less than 2" at
50yds.

I was hoping somebody that does testing for a living had done it. And that there was a published report.
My gunsmith makes custom 1911's and has a ransom rest which he anchors to
a concrete abutment which is deep in the ground. I expect he might test my
pistols for $$, just hoping to avoid the $$. His 1911's print less than 2" at
50yds.
This is from Kart barrels. They use a fixture that just mounts the barrel for testing so they know its accuracy without fitting it to a pistol.

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/c9...l Accuracy Test Results.pdf?ver=1600177314209

I think it's Ayoob who promotes the idea that measuring the best three, in a five-round group, is what the gun is capable of.
I've shot more 50yd groups in the last two years, than in the previous 50+ years, and hope my guns are more accurate than Ayoob's theory would suggest!
I can shoot 4" groups at 25, and 8" groups at 50, with all of my service-sized handguns, but when published gun tests show virtually every subject capable of sub-two inch groups at 25, I wonder if I'm just not a very good shot, but maybe the best three in my groups are close to 2" and 4"?

This "group" is about 9", with the best six into 4.5".

Attachments

• range group.jpg
    range group.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
There is a very tiny group of people that can outshoot a quality factory handgun.

The people that can wring all the accuracy out of a real match gun is a tiny fraction of the above.

Short of testing each gun individually, with a Ransom rest, there’s no answer. If MY Wilson Master Grade shoots 2” at 50 yards, it doesn’t mean another one will. Or, it might shoot 1 1/2”.

Back