Comparison of the snubbies, S&W 60 vs SP.

Mastrogiacomo

What is the opinions of those that have shot the SP101 2" and S&W 60 2" (magnums) and use primarily .38s? Which is the better shooter for carry and accuracy?

All things being equal, the SP-101 will be heavier and recoil less; the Model 60 will be a tad lighter and conceal better.

The problem is, things are rarely equal. I've had a couple of SP-101 357s, one each in 2 1/4" and 3". The shorter gun was handier, lighter. shot as well as the longer one and still broke 1300 fps with 125 grain magnums. 38 wadcutters were real soft shooting in it. I installed a Meprolight front night sight on it.

Downside to the SP-101 is they often have sharp edges on the plastic grip panels. trigger guard, trigger and hammer. 15-20 minutes with some 600 grit silicon carbide, wrapped around a dowel rod, cures all their ills. Another plus is that the SP-101 uses a grip stud instead of a grip frame, so there is no exposed backstrap to whack your thumb knuckle. I actually like the factory rubber grip with smooth wood panels installed, and have used that grip in relative comfort with 200 grain Alaska Backpacker loads.

My pocket gun these days is a S&W 637 with heavy +P 38 Special, 140 grain XTP loads. I didn't go looking for it, I just happened to find a great deal on a used one. It's so small and light I forget I'm carrying it. I am sure it has noticeably more recoil that the SP-101 shooting the same loads.

To test my memory I plugged both models in Handgun Hero's 'Compare' option. Take a look when you get a chance-

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ruger-sp101-2-25-vs-smith-wesson-model-60

I've got a 3 inch SP101 and a 2 inch model 60...

Both great shooters, for a concealed carry gun I'd pick the 60, for woods carry or camping gun and things like that, I'll take the 101.

My wife carries the model 60, she took it over the day after I bought it... she carries +P 38 ammo in it.

The Ruger will take a steady diet of full power 357 without issue, the 60 can shoot them but they're known to shoot loose with a steady diet of them.

Both are accurate... but look them over before you buy them... both are known to have issues with the barrel not being clocked right... the first 60 I checked out when I was shopping was way off so its not just an internet rumor, it's pretty common.
Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

My pocket gun these days is a S&W 637 with heavy +P 38 Special, 140 grain XTP loads. I didn't go looking for it, I just happened to find a great deal on a used one. It's so small and light I forget I'm carrying it. I am sure it has noticeably more recoil that the SP-101 shooting the same loads.

To test my memory I plugged both models in Handgun Hero's 'Compare' option. Take a look when you get a chance-

I like that handgun hero site too. The model 637 you have is a little lighter than a model 60. It should be around 15oz unloaded. An easy weight to carry.

I rarely wear my SP-101. Its not really a pocket gun. Its better on a belt because of the 26oz weight. The 442 and 637 drop right in a pocket and are easily ignored. I had for a very short time a blued SP-101. My oldest son saw it and had to have it. It was a pretty gun but the trigger really needs some attention. My son didn't want to do it even though I have several Wolfe hammer and trigger return springs on hand. Maybe later.

I have a SS SP-101 that is butter smooth after I worked it and did some polishing. Its a simple job to do and well worth the effort. You can carry the SP in a pocket. A back pocket. It carries well back there but not in the front pocket of your jeans.

Thank you for the info people. :) I admit I'm torn between the two so perhaps I'll need to get both...thank you again for the feedback.

Neither of the above.
In a holster, I expect a sixshooter.
In a pocket, a lightweight, and that shot only occasionally for refamiliarization.

I have a 640 which is a good practice gun and an example for somebody who THINKS he wants a snubby. .

I like a pre lock model 60.

Not bad in the pocket.

Handles the 357s.

38 +p will never wear it out.

My first sp101 was a tack driver, others I've tried not so much.

If you get a good one of any model hang on to it.

I’ve had a SP101, a S&W 442, a Taurus 85, and a S&W 640. The 442 was by far the easiest to carry. The steel guns have been the easiest to shoot well. With more years of carry experience, I find the steel pistols carry fine, but mostly on a belt, whether that is IWB or OWB. The 640 and SP101 are close in size and weight. While magnum loads are not what I would place in the “fun” category, they are manageable.

When I carry a snubby, the 640 is what I prefer. (Basically an enclosed hammer 60.)

The SP101 I had was very accurate. The 640 is capable of very good accuracy but mine seems to show preferences for different loads and more point of impact shift when changing among different bullet weights. The SP 101 I had never seemed to care what I put in it and printed pretty close to the same POI with 110, 125, and 158 gr bullets. My 640 will stack Speer Gold Dot Short barrel 135gr +P .38 special rounds on top of each other at 7-10 yards. BUT it puts them about 2-3” low of point of aim, while 158 gr bullets hit at Point of aim with wider dispersion (2-3”).

Last edited:
What is the opinions of those that have shot the SP101 2" and S&W 60 2" (magnums) and use primarily .38s? Which is the better shooter for carry and accuracy?
I'm not sure I can add much to all the other opinions, although I have owned an SP101, and several JFrames. One main piece of information you didn't share is how you plan on carrying the weapon you choose. If you are going to OWB holster your gun, it comes down to which one of these fine guns shoots better for you. If on the other hand you are looking for a discrete pocket gun, you might want something smaller and lighter that you can train enough to shoot effectively. I sold my SP101 because I had a S&W Mod 60 3" 357 that I use for field/fishing carry. I also have a S&W 340PD 11.4 oz, 357 that I carry when I need to be super discrete in jeans, a suite, or gym shorts, with Speer 135gr +P ammo. To sum it up the SP101 is a better shooter with 357s or 38s in my opinion, but JFrames are smaller, more discrete, lighter, and better suited for pocket carry, but a little harder to control. Good luck with your choice.

Back