Comparison of Pietta and Euroarms '58 Remingtons

Old Dragoon

I'm have been doing research on what model exactly Euroarms/Armi San Paolo used to make their NMA version. Turns out it is an early Remington-Beals framed Old Army, one of only 3,000 MFG. I went to Flayderman's Guide last night as Euro had told me they copied a Rem.-Beals to make their Model. that statement was right and wrong. Their copy doesn't look like a Beals. but it is exactly like the R-B Old Model Army. Mystery solved. Only 6,000 Remington Old Model Army's were produced and midway into the production the frame changed to the NMA type frame with exposed bbl threads and a slightly longer cyl. pin notch. The Remington Old Model Army (aka Model 1861) was only made in 1862 then the NMA came on the scene.

Euroarms on left, Pietta on Right
FramecomparisonEuroPietta-2.jpg
FramecomparisonEuroPietta-1.jpg

This picture shows the difference between the Euroarms Rem-Beals framed Old Model Army,
on bottom and the Pietta Rem. NMA frame on top.
PiettaNMAEuroarmsOMA.jpg

Old Dragoon,......nice photos! The Pietta is considerably larger framed than the Euroarms,..that's for sure.

What does the back of the cylinder look like on your Euroarms? Are the ramp recesses shallow? Just wondering.

Here's a pic showing Remington cylinders ......

from the left..........Uberti 2005 '58 Rem,......middle is Euroarms '58 Rem (brushed steel) 1978 ,........on right is my new Euroarms '58 Rem 2003.

oh4how.jpg

My Euroarms cylinder looks just like your new blued one, short ramps. Cannot tell what year mine is it was defarbed and there is just a ghost of the letter symbol box under the reblue. My symbol box is located in front of the TG on the bottom of the frame. All other proofs, even the dgg are gone. Under the bbl is 44 asnd on the gripframe under the left grip is the number 44. At first I thought this was an assy. number, but now I believe that it is the cal. marking so they get the 44 frame and 44 bbl onthe same assy????? Euroarms told me that their Navy is the same frame and I bet they are assembled on the same line. let me know if you have 36 on your Navy when you get it.

OD............there a many similarities between our '58 Rem Euroarms. That's funny that yours has "44" under the barrel, but no "DGG" there . Did you check for the DGG under the cyl.pin head on the barrel? Mine has "DGG" and "34" under the barrel,...the DGG being under the cyl. pin head. Also under the wood grip , on the left side of grip frame is stamped "34",...so I don't think your "44" stamp refers to the caliber. I think it's a specific assembly stamp for the gun. The year date code stamp is "BT" (2003),..the serial # is 11594x.

I should be getting the Euroarms '58 Navy tomorrow,...and will let you know the specifics on it. It was made in 1976.

Nothing on the bbl but 44 and a center mark at frame/bbl juncture. Under left grip is only 44. No DGG on this one at all. The serial Number is 11487X Looks like 900 or so before yours. so could be 2003. I don't want to do the acid raise thing to the box and letters, don't make that much difference to me. I know that after drawing, pointing(no dry fire) both the Pietta and this one,,,,Pietta is a log. Nice gun but a log next to the Euroarms.

Pietta is a log. Nice gun but a log next to the Euroarms.

Darn,.....your Piettas must be bumming out,... big time. :(

Better keep the Euroarms Rem under your matress for now,....LOL! :D

Great pics Old Dragoon...
Oldelm, Old Dragoon ... I think the Old Armi San Palo I bought really paid off. Next new ones I buy will be a Euroarms 1858 Rem New Army and Probly a Navy to balance out..HeHe! I love the hell outta that Ol' one I got and knew I was keepin it for a reason. Good job on all our research all around...

1861RemOldArmy2.jpg

SG

Yeah, I love my Euroarms '58 So much I went out and bought an original Remington-Beals Navy Belly Gun.
I'll have it here this next week I hope.
I sold my Vintage RV Firday and found the Rem.-Beals right here in Acton. It is a very Early(S/N 11X out of 200 original first production run in 1861). Bbl has been cut to approx 3 In. but the bbl, frame and grips are great. it does have the later safety notch cylinder in it but the cylinder and nipples are great shape too. The first 200 made had a piin the bottom of the bbl about 1 1/2" forward of the cylinder pin to keep the cyl. pin from being able to pull out without lowering the loading lever. Being shortened this pin is gone as is the loading lever.

When I get it I'll post pictures of the original Remington-Beals navy frame with the Euroarms Army frame. Be interesting to see how close they really are. If the Euro army frame is truly an exact copy of the Rem.-Beals frame, then the Navy frame should be a tish smaller.

Rem.jpg

Hey Smokin,........nice seeing you around, and hope you can join in more when things settle down for ya. Yea,....you're the one that got us started on these Euroarms Rems,.....nice goin!...hehe :D

Old Dragoon,..........it kinda looks like your old Beals Navy has that "high hammer spur" which I've heard they had on the early ones. Is that right?
I posted over on SCORRS ,.. with pics about the Euroarms 36 Rem Navy I just received. The feel/balance in the hand is VERY nice! :D

Oldelm,
It does have the high thumbspur, but it has been bobbed. All in all it is pretty wel right for the S/N timeframe it does have a Safety notch cylinder though perhaps changed when bobbed???

help ID euroarms c&b

hi yall Im new here and it seems I have come to the right place.I bought a used euroarms .44 c&b pistol.I thought yall might help with some history on the gun.IT has a 8" bbl,steel frame,brass trigger gaurd.on the bottom of grip looks like might be the seril# 0353. under left grip panel and under the barrel at frame are the numbers 395 and letters DGG .on the right side of barrel at the frame are the letters PN with a star above it.......THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.

Is there a box with two letters in it anywhere on the gun. look in front of the TG on the bottom of the frame. or on the right side of the frame. The PN and star are proof marks, from the s/n it appears to be an early one, but I cannot say for sure. Armi San Paolo started in 1971 and became Euroarms in 1976. Without the letter in the square or rectangle(box) I cannot tell you anything further. The DGG is the mark of Armi San Paolo/Euroarms.

I forgot to ask, is it a Remington NMA Copy?

thanks Dragoon.......yes ts a remmy I dont know about NMA .and on the right side of frame just above tg are the letters......XXV1......nothing on bottom of frame thanks

You are the proud owner of a 1970, So it is likely one of the first production run to be imported into the US in 1971. Is the frame color turning plum color? A lot of the older guns do that becasue of the difference in the steel of the frames and the bbl.
The Armi San Paolo(which is what yours is) and the Euroarms are copies of the Early Remington-Beals framed Remington.Old Model Armies. Noted because there is no frame scoop out showing the bbl threads at the breech
Wow an Antique Armi San {aolo fer sure. Nice can you post some pictures of it for us?.

If you ever get tired of it you can send it to me! LOL:eek:

thank you Dragoon

Thank you Dragon.......the pistol is in near perfect shape.very accuarte.Im putting a R&D cylinder,and cutting the barrel to 5.5"with ivory grips.and reblue.the blue on it now is a worn blue/black............one more question.the front post sight is soldered on.no dove tail.ya think thats factory?.......thank you again...

Are you positive that there isn't a dovetail? mine are really hard to detect, but they are dovetailed. If it is without a dove tail then it is probably silversoldered on in a shallow hole like WG says.

If you need a hinged cylinder pin give me a yell on email. You will not be able to remove your cylinder pin for complete cleaning if it isn't jointed to fold to miss the rammer latch post. I make the jointed pins

R & D cylinders for Uberti's fit the Euroarms. You might want to ask R&D for sure though, I know the Kirst Uberti's fit and I think Oldelm said his R&D Uberti fit his Euroarms too.

I have aN Uberti Gated Kirst in 44 Rem on the way for my Euroarms '58 Remmy. and I have a deal cooking for Ivory like grips to be made also. seems no one sells Ivory grips for the Euroarms...that I have heard about. Pietta's and uberti's are too big, but can be cut down to fit.

Last edited:
Back