Compare these .44 Magnums

• Thread starter Thread starter BB
  • Start date Start date

BB

How do these revolvers compare in fit, finish, durability and operation?

Smith & Wesson 629
Dan Wesson 744
Tuarus Model 44

1) Dan Wesson 744
2) S&W 629
3) Taurus

Right up there with the Dan would be the Ruger Redhawk. I currently own a Dan Wesson 744 and a Model 29. Actually make that 2 Dans, one stainless one blue. The Model 29 is a fine gun, but the first one I had and used in silhouette shot loose in under 2000 rounds. Granted my silhouette loads were on the warm side but still below max. My Dan has and will continue to digest these loads. It is still just as tight and accurate as the day I bought it. When I was shooting IHMSA the Dan Wessons were the revolvers of choice and usually took the top places.
I have very little experience with the Taurus so I really can't make a judgement.
If you are just looking for a .44 Mag for occasional shooting with less than max loads any of the above should serve you well.
Take Care

My vote would go something like this:

1- Ruger Redhawk
2- Dan Wesson 744
3- Smith & Wesson 629
4- Taurus ?

Definitely, the top nod should go to the Ruger Redhawk; proof tested with loads rated 30% above normal. Equally
as strong and durable as this company's Super Blackhawk
S/A. Just my $.02 worth.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Ruger is not an option

But thanks for the replies.

Swamp Yankee, any experience with the Dan Wesson 7445 Supermag? If so, how does it compare in size to the 744? Or the 744 to the 629?

I really like the idea of interchangable barrels on the Dan Wessons, so I'm leaning that way, but I've never actually handled one. I have handled and shot the 629 and they seemed to be very well made.

I say again, Ruger is not an option.

I don't want anything with Bill Rugers name on it.

I'm considereing the Dan Wesson, and I'd like to know more about them.

[Edited by BB on 03-10-2001 at 01:32 PM]

I have only handled one DW 7445. Did not get the oppertunity to fire it or see it in action. I can say it is massive, I believe the next size up is usually mounted in a turret and transported by a tracked vehicle.:)
As for your question comparing the 744 and Model 29 the 744's frame is larger than the 29's. Not by a whole lot though. The DW does have a heavier top strap.
The two pistols have a different feel and balance. The Dan Wessons tend to be a little more muzzle heavy in the longer barrel lengths. If you should find this objectionable the barrel shroud may be replaced with one which does not have the full lug underneath. The S&W, you have to take what the factory gives you.
I don't know if this helps a whole lot, if you have other questions I'll certainly do my best to help. I'm sure others will be along to fill in the blanks and offer other opinions.
Take Care

Hi BB,
I have a 7445 and two other Dan Wesson's; I also have a Redhawk. The Dan Wesson is superior to the Redhawk in my personal comparisons of the two, and I really like my Redhawk, so you're not missing out passing on the Ruger.
Size wise the 7445 has a longer cylinder & frame than the 744, other than that they are the same.
You can shoot .44mag out of the .445sm
You can shoot full house loads year after year with no noticeable wear. I have never met any one that shot a Dan Wesson loose.
You can adjust the cylinder/barrel gap to your liking.
You can buy and install a number of barrel lengths & styles.

I agree with Swamp Yankee, I too shoot silhouette, the Dan Wesson's have proved themselves in the accuracy & strength department time and time again.

BB, I don't have a 629 for size comparisons, I can take a picture of the 7445 compared to the Redhawk if you would like.

Here's my Dan Wesson's. Top 445SM - Middle 357SM - Bottom .22LR
View

Great pic salvo! Thanks to both you and Swamp Yankee. I think I'm going to go for the 744. I just wish I could handle one first.

DennisE, Dan Wesson is not S&W, although the names sound alot alike they are different companies.

And while I don't agree with the agreement S&W signed, and I will not purchase a new S&W because of it, that agreement only affects S&W and those dealers who choose to sell S&W. What Bill Ruger did was far worse IMO, he lobbied for (shoot, he practically wrote) legislation that affects everyone, and since we're talking about Federal law here, there is no choice in the matter. While I can somewhat understand a British company capitulating with the Gov. in order to get out from under the HUD lawsuit so they can sell off S&W; I see what Bill Ruger did, and said, and continues to believe, to be a direct assault on my rights. I'd rather not get into a political discussion over it. Thats just the way I feel.

Anyway, this thread is about Dan Wessons, and trying to find out how they compare to other pistols which I have handled and shot, since I don't have access to the DW line.

sports2themax: That's cool! But how can you prefer the clunky, oversized DA SRH to the sleek, cool SA SBH? DennisE

sports2themax: Likewise, I had the chance to shoot the .454 Super Redhawk yesterday. I was very impressed. DennisE

.44 Mags

My 2 cents about D.W. and a Q??

Have owned a DW .357 model 12 since about 1980 w/2 1/2,4 and 6" barrels. Recently had some minor internal work done by the factory, took almost a month from ship to repair to return. Shipping cost me more than the factory's parts and service charges. Would recommend their service dept and friendliness to all with a D.W. model.

Q: have the chance to buy a DW #744 with 10" Heavy vent ribbed barrel, age unknown, seller says excellent condition, has had an action job to smooth out hammer draw and reduce trigger pull..for $460. Is that a reasonable price??

Apples vs Oranges.

The old style 29s were best suited to the outdoorsman who wanted wanted a gun to pack a lot and shoot a little. The fit and finish of the older S&Ws was top notch, making Rugers and DW look crude by comparison. It all depends what you are looking for, a trim trail companion or a super duty silohuette (sp?) gun. I do have a weakness for the original Flattop 44 Blackhawks.

I put night sights on my 454 SRH and ordered the buffalo horn grip inserts from Lett. It is a babe to a hunters eyes.
My son in law just purchased a new 454 SRH. He holds it like it is the Hope Diamond. I don't blame him.

Back