Compact 9mm for CCW

camy

Inactive
I'm considering a kel tec p11 or a Taurus p111. I've fired neither and have only seen the kel-tec up close. My goal is to find a lightweight, cheap firearm with a 10+ capacity. Any opinion or suggestion??? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks
Charles

Lightweight and cheap describes the Keltec P11 perfectly. They are also a pretty reliable little pistol as a rule, though there are some that have had problems. Once you work the kinks out, there are not any lighter or smaller 9mm's with the capacity of the P11 that I know of.

I carry a Kel-Tec P11 in the warmer months. I've had mine about a year and have over 1500 rounds through it. I've had one stovepipe which happened after I dropped the clip in the sand on an ill-fated tactical reload attempt! Some people have some horror stories about the P11 (probably got a lemon) but I've had nothing but flawless operation (except as noted above). I would check out http://www.ktog.org for some good info.

I've had nothing but good luck with my Kel-Tec P11. I've tried carrying other guns, but seem to always return to the Kel-Tec.

I can vouch for the P-11. Lightweight, economical and
reliable.

The trigger takes many people awhile to get used to,
it is very long,though not necessarily heavy. For concealed
carry it is fine, may not be the best for longer distance
target shooting but that is not what it was designed for.

You may want to order a trigger shoe from kel-tec, many
have found that this helps http://www.kel-tec.com
as previously mentioned, see the kel-tec owners group website, extremely informative http://www.ktog.org

I have two stainless P-11s (and two P-32s), one is below s/n 9000, and the other is above s/n 38,000. They are both reliable (without the KTOG fluff and buff), accurate and easy to carry and conceal.

I have the factory trigger shoe on both, plus a steel guide rod, PT night sights and the belt clip on the carry piece.

For more info, try the message board at: www.ktog.org

Good luck.

P11: Very reliable, great customer service, cool accessories, etc.

Taurus: more costly, less positive feedback, foreign

I love my Keltec. I've only had it less than a month, and I'll never get rid of it. Might get another, though, or a P32.

camy,
I recommend you look at the baby Glock 26 in 9mm. I bought my first Glock recently and I like it a lot. The trigger pull is nice but especially the grip is very ergonomic for my big hands once a grip extension was added. I was surprised to find the G26 comfortable to shoot even with the most powerful loads. I am very impressed with this low priced handgun.
I bought the G26 for carry in an ankle holster when I could not carry my P7-PSP in an IWB holster.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Consider the Makarov in 8X18 and use Russian hollow Point ammo avail from Dan's Sporting Goods Phn 724-727-2648, Ammo costs about $125.00 per 1000 or less for smaller quan.

The Makarov is an under rated weapon, built solid and well The East German is probably the best, tho the Russian ans Bulgarian are excelent weapons and cost from about $125.00 to under $200.00.

Camy, I know nothing about the P11 but I would be very reluctant to trust my life to a firearm that was considered a "pretty reliable little pistol as a rule". I agree with George with regard to the Glocks. They're lightweight, accurate and reliable. Whichever one you choose, a good rule is to fire 250 rounds without a malfunction before using it as a carry pistol. Otherwise carry a revolver. I'd rather have 5 or 6 rounds I could count on than a single shot pistol with another 10 rounds that won't feed.

I've Had Good Luck With My PT111

I've had very good luck with my PT111. I have yet to experience a bobble, it is accurate, has good sights, and disappears behind my sizeable behind. I have no experience with Kel-Tecs other than my P32 which is great. Regards, Richard.

9mm ccw

KelTec from me as well. Does take a little getting used to, but after practice, which you should do anyway, they work very well. I have carried CorBon 115 +p, Federal, Winchester, PMC, Remington, and they all work great.

Back