Compact .45 ACP Pistol for CCW...Opinions???

Anthony

Hello,

One of my best friends is looking at several models for a concealed carry pistol. They are:

Beretta 8045F Cougar
Glock Model 30
Heckler & Koch USP Compact
Kimber Compact
Smith & Wesson Model 4513 Tactical
Smith & Wesson Model 457

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

------------------

Without a doubt, the USP Compact 45 or 40. I have a 45C. Great gun. Won't hesitate to get one in 40 when I find one.

Ed

Don't forget the SIG 245. A chopped version of the 220 that is light, reliable and accurate. It will accept 220 mags, but they'll hang out the butt...not bad for spare mags in you carrier though. Also available with factory installed Trijicon night sights.

Mike

Best choice: Glock 30
Second best: USP .45 Compact
DISTANT third, fourth, etc choices: all the others
I own both the Glock 30 & USP .45 Compact (and SigSauer P220), and the Glock 30 has the edge in reliability.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Definitely the Kimber Compact Aluminum. Had one and put about 500 rounds through it without a jam and didn't have as much muzzle flip as other Officer's size 1911s. Second choice would be the Glock 30.

Go with the BIG DAWG - the Glock 30. You will not be disappointed.

Frank

My opinion in order of preference:

1) Glock 30 (if you can find one)
2) SIG P245
3) Kimber Compact
4) H&K USP Compact
5) Beretta 8045

I would also consider a Loaded Springfield Compact w/ Alloy Frame. Whatever you go with, get a real good holster for it.

Johnboy

GLOCK 30 !!!!!
Not a question. Have mine on CCW with a M36
Smith and a Browning Hi Power.
The 30 fires nearly same groups as my Gold Cup. We civilians now have to qualify for CCW renewal every 3 yrs in Calif. I fired perfect score with the 30. That was weak hand, strong hand, 2 hand, hip, and multiple moving target. Browning aced it too but that .45 is a much better defense load. Sposed to be a single stack Glock .45 out now. M31 or 36 forget which.
But the M30 will even drop in a Levi's pocket with not too much excess bulge. Great gun.

G30 and HK 45c have got to be at the top of the list. Have both and love them both. A commander size 1911 is worth a look for many folks. 1911's are really nice if you train enough to conrol the SA trigger. Very, very nice pointers and fast from shot-to-shot. They can also be adjusted to suit you perfect. That's the beauty of the 1911. You can adjust it. Great guns. ljlc

I also would recommend the Glock G30 or the
Kimber Compact. I own the Kimber and have shot the G30. I havent shot an H&K but have
heard they are excellent.
Tell your friend to handle, point, and dry-
fire these and see which one feels the best
to HIM. Buy it and practice a lot w/ it at
real personal defense distances; 3,5,7,10,&
15 yards. The 25 yard stuff is mainly for
target shooting, not for real defense training. He wont go wrong w/ any of them.
Dave

All great picks. But if the damned thing don't fit your hand you won't shoot it well. Pick a quality firearm that you shoot very well and go with it. Take your time and if possible, try as many as you can first.

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

I have not had the opportunity to own or shoot many of the guns that have been mentioned, but I do have a suggestion. It may be hard to find, but you might want to consider a Star PD. It was one of, it not the, first compact 45's ever made. It's smaller than a combat commander, but bigger than an officers model, with an alloy frame. I've had one for several years and have not experienced any problems. Clips are somewhat difficult to find, but are out there.

------------------
As to marksmanship, it is not what you once did, rather it is what you can do on demand.

Back