Compact 1911 purchase- need suggestions

AR-10

One of the purchases I hope to make this summer is a compact 1911 for concealed carry. I want to buy a .45 with a short grip. I don't have big hands so a short grip and six round capacity is fine with me. What I want is flawless function (who doesn't:)). I know this can be a concern when you shorten the slide too much. I've looked at a Springfield V-10 and I think it would be OK. I'm not crazy about the porting or the rubber grips. I know Kimber makes several models that would meet my needs. I don't own a Kimber, so this would be a good reason to pick one up. The chances of test firing any compact before making a decision are close to zero. I am well aware of all the "issues" concening MIM parts. What I need is imput from people who have experience with 1911 pistols that could meet my requirements for this purchase. An ambidextrous safety would be a big plus. I'm getting tired of Installing them myself. Thanks!

Kimber Ultra Carry as suggested in previous post. If you don't have that much to spend put it in lay-a-way till you get the rest. It's that good, for a 1911 style.

I fired my friends para-ord p10-45 the other day, one of the best groups I ever shot one my first mag, I really liked it. It's kinda fat, as it is a double stack .45 wit h 10 rounds, but it has all the right 1911 controls, and it is otherwise compact. I was so impressed, I wrote para-ord about making a slimmer single stack version, but they said they have no plans for that at this time.

I like my Detonics Combat Master. It needed a little fiddling of the 1911 kind (extractor adjustment, new mag and recoil springs), but has had one malfunction in 600+ rounds since. It's all-steel construction makes it easier to shoot than some of the lightweights, and it's slightly more compact than the current crop of small guns that have the OACP butt length. When new Colts and Kimbers are running in the $700-$900 range, the $550 price was good, too.

I have a springfield ultra compact,$500 at a gun show,
new with Hogue grips. Never a ftf in 500 plus rounds,
I use my 200gr swc reloads, very accurate.!!! Just
plain fun to shoot.

I held a Kimber Ultra Compact today and it is beautiful! I did notice that my "pinkie" finger wanted to curl under the grip. Questions:
1. Is it okay to add a grip extender on this weapon?
2. Cocked and locked is pretty scary! Any alternatives with a round in the chamber?
3. I live in a hot climate, what's the best mode of carry for hot weather? Ankle, belly band, untucked shirt.

Thanks

I've been doing some reading at the Kimber site(again),and I must say the CDP series looks very :cool:. I'm interested in the Ultra CDP or the Compact CDP. I've read in a thread here recently that Kimber sights are "crappy". What's up with that? The CDP series comes with Tritium night sights. Are the CDP sights good quality? What about field stripping? Of the two models is one easier to re-install the spring when you put the slide back on? One of my Springfields has a bull barrel and a reverse spring plug and I know that makes dis-assembly/re-assembly a little more difficult but I got used to it. Then there is barrel length. Three inches seems pretty short. If I want to use a shoulder holster(possible) this would be a good thing. If I have to use lighter, hotter loads to compensate for the short barrel that would be a bad thing. The four inch barrel on the compact might be a good compromise.Good thing I can't buy anything for a couple of months.:)Any other thoughts or suggestions?

PerfectGlock- Very nice looking gun!! It would probably meet my needs perfectly. Unfortunately, I could probably buy both of the Kimbers for the price of one of those.:eek: SAY!!!:D I have some of my best ideas before 8:00A.M.:)

I love my Kimber ProCarry SLE. I just bought a Baer Stinger. It looks like a sweetheart too. I'll let you know what I think of it when I take possession of it next week. Once you buy one 1911, you just can't stop! :D

I've got an Ultra CDP and the sights are great! I think some people just want to be unhappy with anything that isn't over $1500.00 and a one of a kind.

I'm lucky enough to be associated with a very exclusive firing range (I work there and get a free membership) and see all manner of beautiful guns. I've yet to see a high end custom that would make me a $1000.00 better shooter!

The only gun that comes close to making me spend more is a Wilson Combat and I dont remember the nomenclature of that particular model.

Les Baer eat your heart out. for the money you just cant beat a Kimber.

I picked up a good deal on an Ultra CDP (dealer closing shop) last year. The gun is beautiful, both in appearance and function. My only complaint was the stock magazine (as usual). The night sights are quite good, and properly regulated (at least for me). Since I carry IWB I really would have prefered the short grip with the longer barrel, but you take what is available (especially when it is priced right!). The best thing I've found about the CDP treatment is the "melt" job. I never realized how many sharp edges my old Combat Commander had till I carried the CDP a few days. I wouldn't have objected to a steel frame either, I prefer 230 grain bullets in .45 ACP but the combination of short barrel, arthritic hands, and light weight decided me in favor of 185's for this one.

Have a Kimber; very nice.
Would like the Wilson...but more than twice the price.
Both shoot just beautifully. :)

I have a Colt Officers "Enhanced" model. Comes the way a 1911-type should, beavertail safety, relieved ejection port, commander-style hammer, etc. Don't carry it that often, but I am pretty pleased with it.

I have both the Springfield SuperTuned V10 Ultra Compact, and the Kimber Ultra CDP. While both are very nice pistols, I give the nod to the Kimber for the same reasons already mentioned. The "meltdown" effect, combined with the lightness of this pistol makes it a pleasure to carry.
Although a bit on the pricey side, IMHO, the Kimber is worth every cent. Good luck on your decision.

This is my favorite subject - but I have stayed away as folks might think I am predictable... How many have bets on what I am going to say? :D

The Detonics Combat Master is my choice... its the Mac Daddy of chopped .45 1911s. Having said that - lets look at the other options.
The Cylinder and Slide Adventurer is a good choice - but right at the top end. There is also the Tussy Custom's ultra compact... which would be my next choice. These two guns are spendy - as small as the Detonics and super sweet.
There is the rather new STI Ranger thats about midline price wise and a handsome little gun as well. The Kimber is not as small, priced well and looks dashing. There is the Springfield that come with Hogues... Easily swapped for woodies... if you know how to take the grips off. Total of 4 screws - even a dunderhead can do that. The Springfield V-10 is popular and I often use the V-10 name to mean all the gun options in that size... I am not big on the venting - so I would pay my money for one without. I also like the two tone that Springfield offers.
Two Tone in the right way - Dark on top, Light on bottom... not this ugly reversed silver slide and black frame theme thats popular now due to stainless slides on Glocks and things... Nasty looking.

So to sum this all up... How much do you want to spend?

Back