Comp XD or ACOG on Mini-14 Ranch

Yellowdog

Inactive
Since I'm a California resident, the mini-14 is now the plinker of choice. Does anyone know if there are commercially made mounts that would allow me to mount an Aimpoint Comp XD or a Trijicon ACOG to the Mini-14 Ranch and if so are they high quality, tight fitting etc.?

Check Brownell's catalog...they have a weaver rail that fits ranch models. I'm thinking about this myself. Hope this helps.

The only mount I would consider for the Ranch rifle is the Weigand Ranch Rifle Scopemount. It mounts on the existing Ranch Rifle base and has a Weaver style rail which accepts Weaver, pro-point rings. Part957-095-014 ($56.00).

Here is their web site http://www.jackweigand.com/scope.html

I have this mount for my ranch rifle. It works fine. I use a Reflex II. The only thing I would say is to ask for some extra flat tip screws. The hex bolts he uses are an odd size (at least I had trouble getting my hex wrench to fit). You will need to use loctite blue or else the mount will shake off. Also you need to remove the mount each time you clean otherwise you can't get the bolt out of the rifle or the top heat shield off the barrel. But then again, unlike the AR-15, the ranch rifle will work when dirty if you skip a few cleanings.

good luck

One other thing, you may want to consider the Reflex II for your scope. This company http://www.riflescopes.com/
sells them for $269. I felt funny buying a scope that costs more than my rifle. Also, if your scope is too good you might get frustrated with the ranch accuracy. But, for CQC, the Reflex II 12 moa or 6 moa amber triangle is great.

I do love The Firingline! Ask a question and within a few hours you've got answers. Thanks for the info on the mounts. I'll probably order one of the Weigand mounts shortly. Not to diverge from the original topic but Mr. Pub mentioned the Reflex II. Any opinions on how it compares with the Aimpoint Comp XD?

I have a Weigand Mount like the one discussed above. I bought it not realizing that it wouldn't mount on a standard Mini-14. And, yes, I am a rocket-scientist . . . =)

I'll sell it to you for a great price. The only difference between a mount you might order from Brownell's or Weigand Combat is that I took this one out of the plastic. That's it. I made no attempts to install it, so there isn't even the slightest scratch on the finish.

Let me know if you're interested.

------------------
Thank you for your time,

John Coleman

B-square also offers a mount similar to the Weigand mount except that it has a see through channel so you can use your iron sights too.

Back